The NWO Spinoza Prize is the most prestigious academic distinction in the Netherlands. The Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO) awards the prize to Dutch researchers who rank among the world‘s most eminent scholars and scientists.
The prestigious prize is awarded to scholars and scientists for outstanding, groundbreaking and inspiring research. The laureates are internationally renowned and are an inspiration to young scholars and scientists. They are awarded €2.5 million each, which they may spend on the research of their choice.
- Annemarie Mol, professor of Anthropology of the Body (2012)
- Patti Valkenburg, professor of Youth and Media (2011)
- Erik Verlinde, professor of Theoretical Physics (2011)
- Joep Leersen, professor of European Studies (2008)
- Lex Schrijver,professor of Mathematics and Optimalisation (2005)
- Michiel van der Klis, professor of Astronomy (2004)
- Robbert Dijkgraaf, professor of Mathematical Physics (2003)
- Ad Lagendijk, professor of Experimental Physics (2002)
- Ronald Plasterk, professor of Molecular Biology (1999)
- Johan van Benthem, professor of Pure and Applied Logic (1996)