Attendance at the symposium is free of charge, but registration is necessary. Please register by sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
10.00-10.30: Doors open
10.30-10.45: Welcome and introduction
10.45-11.30: Athalya Brenner-Idan (University of Amsterdam/Tel Aviv University), "Sister Figures in the Hebrew Bible Revisited: Some Reflections"
11.30-12.15: Adele Reinhartz (University of Ottawa), "Martyrdom and the ‘Parting of the Ways"
13.30-14.15: Jeremy Punt (Stellenbosch University), "Paul, Politics, and Passions: Beyond Heroics"
14.15-15.00: Irene Zwiep (University of Amsterdam), "Professions for men. Scholars between hero worship and patricide"
15.00-15.45: Coffee and refreshments
After the symposium, the day will continue with Jan Willem van Henten’s valedictory lecture (Aula, Singel 411, Amsterdam)
16.30: Jan Willem van Henten (University of Amsterdam), "De Herodes de Grote van Abel J. Herzberg: een tragische koning"
The lecture will be followed by a reception at the same location.
This symposium is made possible with the financial support of the following institutions:
- Department of History, European Studies, and Religious Studies, University of Amsterdam
- NOSTER - Netherlands School for Advanced Studies in Theology and Religion
- Religious Studies Chair Group, University of Amsterdam
- Centre for the History of Hermetic Philosophy and Related Currents, University of Amsterdam
- ACASA - Amsterdam Centre for Ancient Studies and Archaeology
- AHM - Amsterdam School for Heritage, Memory and Material Culture