For best experience please turn on javascript and use a modern browser!
You are using a browser that is no longer supported by Microsoft. Please upgrade your browser. The site may not present itself correctly if you continue browsing.

Study adviser Faculty of Science

For all students at the University of Amsterdam's Faculty of Science

The study adviser of the Faculty of Science's is there for you if you require support, supervision and information during your studies. Any conversations you have with us are strictly confidential.

These are some of the things your study adviser can help you with: 

  • Advice when personal circumstances are having an impact on your studies;
  • Counselling support when making decisions;
  • Questions about seeking additional challenges or ways of deepening your academic knowledge;
  • Advice about planning your studies and what to do if you are going to be incurring a study completion delay;
  • Information about the University of Amsterdam's regulations;
  • Help with education-related complaints.

Below you find more information about what the study adviser can do for you and how you can reach them. We abide by the Code of Conduct of the National Association of Study Advisers LVSA

  • Contact your study adviser

    You can reach your study adviser in several ways. You can ask a question by email or make an appointment for a personal meeting.

    Question via email

    The email address of your study adviser can be found below.

    Make an appointment

    If your question is of a more complicated nature, make an appointment with your study adviser. He or she will reserve a 30 minute time slot for your meeting. You can plan your meeting yourself via the online timetable. 

    Make online appointment

    Contact by telephone

    You can reach your study adviser by telephone: +31 20 525 7100 (ESC service desk). 


    The study advisers are located at the Education Service Centre (ESC) on the 1st floor of Science Park 904. Please notify the service desk of the ESC of your arrival for an appointment. They will let you into the waiting room, where you will be met by the study adviser. 

    Study advisers MSc Exact Sciences


    Ambi Oosterhout

    Mathematics, Stochastics &
    Financial Mathematics

    Mailis Birsak,
    Physics and Astronomy Mailis Birsak,

    Study Adviser MSc Information Sciences

    Artificial Intelligence,
    Information Studies,
    Cecilia Sigvardsdotter,

    Computational Science,

    Anne-Christine van der Bijl,

    Software Engineering,
    Security and Network Engineering,
    Mailis Birsak,

    Study Adviser MSc Life and Earth Sciences

    Biological, Biomedical and Earth Sciences Yvonne Vermijn,
  • Personal circumstances

    Are there personal circumstances that are impacting on your studies? The study adviser can support you in this situation and help figure out what you need. In addition, the University of Amsterdam has a number of regulations in place that can help you achieve success in your studies.

    I have an illness

    If you are ill or have a chronic condition, it is important that you let your study adviser know. The university has certain regulations which you may be eligible for which can support you in your studies, such as extra time or financial support if you incur a delay.

    I have personal issues

    If you find yourself dealing with personal issues, you can meet with the study adviser to discuss what you need in order to study as effectively as possible, or, for example, to discuss adjusting your study plan. The study adviser can also tell you what procedures and regulations may be relevant in your situation. If your issues extend beyond the scope of the study adviser, they can refer you to the appropriate point of contact.

    I have a functional impairment

    If you are dyslexic or have another type of functional impairment, the university offers several forms of support, such as additional time to sit examinations or the option of being paired up with a study buddy who will help you plan your studies. You can read more about this on the Student Counsellor homepage.

  • Decisions during your studies

    Do you need counselling support in making the many decisions that you face in the course of your study programme? Do you want to know more about the different possibilities you will have after your studies? Or are you thinking about dropping out of your study programme? You can read about the ways in which the study adviser will be able to help you below.

    I have a decision to make

    During your study programme, you will find yourself faced with a lot of decisions, for example relating to electives, projects, minors or majors. Your study adviser can counsel you in making these decisions.

    I have a question about my career or academic career

    What type of job do I want once I have finished my studies? What are my interests, ambitions and skills? The study adviser will help you figure this out and can provide counselling support during the decision-making process. 

    You can turn to the University of Amsterdam's Student Careers Centre for more general counselling support relating to your choice of study programme, or if you get bogged down in the decision-making process, for example. They can help you with career orientation before, during and after your studies, providing information about topics such as doctoral programmes, career options and interview skills.

    I want to quit my studies

    If you have doubts about your choice of study programme you can, together with the study adviser, assess whether the degree programme is a good fit for you, or what steps you could take to find out whether it is. If you ultimately decide you do want to quit your studies, you can terminate your enrolment then. 

  • Looking for a challenge

    If you are looking for a challenge during your studies, want to participate in extra activities in addition to your study programme, or play high-level competitive sport, the study adviser can provide you with information about taking additional courses or doing a minor or second Master's programme.

    I am looking for a challenge

    If your degree programme does not offer enough of a challenge, or you wish to deepen your knowledge, there are a number of ways you can go about this. These are just a few of the options available: 

    • taking additional courses;
    • serving on a committee or board, enrolling in a second Master's programme...

    Your study adviser can help you figure out what possibilities best meet your wishes.

    I play high-level competitive sport

    If you are a high-level competitive athlete who has been granted special Championship Sports status, discuss how you can best combine your studies and your sporting career with your study adviser. For example, special agreements can be made with lecturers, or you can make adjustments to your study plan. The University of Amsterdam has special Championship Sports Regulations, which, among other things, provide financial support if you need more than the regular allotted time to complete your degree programme. To be eligible for this support you must contact your study adviser in a timely manner to discuss the delay you have incurred.

  • Study success and study delays

    Do you need advice about your study planning? Would you like to know how you can study more effectively? Or are you incurring a study completion delay? The study adviser will help you consider the different options that are available to help you.

    I have questions relating to study planning

    If you have not passed all your courses, that often means you need to adjust your study plan. The study adviser can help you figure this out and advise you as to which courses can and cannot be combined. You can also turn to the study adviser for questions about taking additional courses or studying abroad. 

    I have questions about studying effectively

    During the Master's programme, different things are expected of you than during your undergraduate studies. For many students this means they need to change the way they go about their studies. The amount of material to be covered is greater and the pace is higher. In addition, you are expected to have a high level of independence, particularly during the run-up to graduation. There are fewer contact hours and more hours of independent study. For support with learning to study more effectively, you can get help from a number of different places within the University of Amsterdam: 

    • You can find a lot of tips on this page
    • You can attend the training sessions and workshops that are offered, for example to improve your presentation or writing skills.
    • You can discuss your study strategy with your study adviser. Together you can devise a plan to study more efficiently and effectively.

    I have incurred a study delay

    If you have incurred a delay to your studies, you will probably need to make adjustments to your study plan. For advice on this, contact your study adviser. Please note the following:       

    • If you have incurred, or are at risk of incurring, a study completion delay as a result of special circumstances, it is important that you notify the study adviser in a timely manner (i.e. within two months of the circumstances first arising).

    • Having this notification registered is necessary if you wish to make an appeal under any of the regulations further down the line (for example, applying for additional financial assistance).

    • If necessary, you can come up with an alternative study plan in consultation with the study adviser (for example, by lightening your course load for a little while) or discuss whether you will temporarily terminate your enrolment. 

  • Rules and complaints

    If you have any questions about the University of Amsterdam's rules and regulations, such as the Teaching and Examination Regulations (OER), or if you have a complaint that you would like advice on, the Faculty of Science's study advisers can provide you with information and help you on your way.

    • Each degree programme has its own Teaching and Examination Regulations (OER), stating all the rules relating to teaching and examinations. These regulations are drawn up by the university, the faculty and the degree programme. In addition, the rules established by the Examinations Board can be found in the 'Rules and Guidelines of the Examinations Board' document. This contains provisions on topics such as graduating with honours and exemptions. You can find more information at > name programme > AZ > Rules and Regulations

    • Do you have a complaint, for example about a decision made by the Examinations Board? Or do you feel that you have been unfairly disadvantaged by one of your lecturers? You can obtain advice on the matter from your study adviser. More information about complaints, objections and appeals

    • If you have a complaint about inappropriate behaviour by someone within the university, contact a Confidential Adviser. They can help you find a solution and, if required, file a report. 

  • Where do I need to go for...?

    The study adviser is happy to help you. Below you can find information that might help answer your query.

    Studying abroad

    • Information about studying within Europe (i.e. via the Erasmus programme) or outside Europe (via the Global Exchange Programme) can be found on the University of Amsterdam's Study abroad.
    • To contact Selma Kujundzic, the Faculty of Science's internationalisation contact, go to this page. She can help you with the practical matters you need to arrange in advance.
    • If you would like to brainstorm with someone, for example about your study planning, contact your study adviser.


    • For help and counselling relating to personal issues or issues arising from your studies, you can turn to a student psychologist.
    • You can sign up for a number of meetings without needing a referral. 
    • You can also request an intake interview during the consultation hour of the student psychologist, Ineke Bostelaar. She is present at Science Park every two weeks. You will have to make an appointment for this intake via 020 525 2599 (tell the receptionist that you would like an intake interview at location Science Park). When you have an appointment you can go to the Education desk FNWI at the agreed time and they will refer you to Ineke.

    Training sessions, workshops and information

    • The University of Amsterdam offers a wide range of workshops and training  and information sessions relating to student life and applying for jobs.
    • You can find the dates of these meetings in the calendar

    Courses, graduating, requesting your degree certificate, lists of marks

    • Information about having your choice of courses approved, graduating, requesting your degree certificate and lists of marks can be found in the 'A-Z' list (in the menu bar above) under 'Graduating'.
    • You can request an official printout of the study results you have achieved from the Education Service Desk.
    • Please note: information may vary between different degree programmes. Make sure to always check the A-Z list for your own degree programme: > select your degree programme > A-Z > Graduating.

    Enrolment and re-enrolment‚Äč

    • You can find information about enrolment and re-enrolment for your programme at Please note: information may vary between different degree programmes. Make sure to always check the A-Z list for your own degree programme : > select your degree programme > A-Z > Enrolment and re-enrolment.
    • You can find information about course and exam registration at> Course and exam registration. Please note: information may vary between different degree programmes. Make sure to always check the A-Z list for your own degree programme: > select your degree programme > A-Z > Course and exam registration