1. Academic Bachelor's degree
If you are holding:
- A completed Bachelor's or Master's degree in Economics or Econometrics from a Dutch university: you are eligible to apply for the Master's programme. Students are expected to have taken courses at intermediate level in: Econometrics or extended quantitative methods, Micro- and Macroeconomics. It is required to have a solid background in Mathematics. Relevant course work will be evaluated after the online application has been submitted.
- One of these other Bachelor's degrees: You will normally be directly admitted to the MSc in Economics. However, courses in Micro- and Macroeconomics and Econometrics at intermediate level are strict requirements.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree from in a quantitative field such as Mathematics, Statistics: you are eligible to apply, provided that courses in Economics are included in the programme. Relevant course work will be evaluated after the online application has been submitted.
- Transition Minor certificate: you are unconditionally eligible to the programme.
- In the event that your previous education does not fulfill this programme’s requirements, you may wish to consider applying for a Master-qualifying programme at the Cambridge Education Group.
Students from other UvA faculties
These students have direct admission to our MSc in Economics without any further conditions. Find all enrolment information on the 'Applicants from Economics and Business' page.
Pre-Master’s students from another Dutch Research University
Limited places are available for pre-Master’s students Economics from other Dutch Research Universities. Students are expected to have taken courses at intermediate level in: Econometrics or extended quantitative methods, Micro- and Macroeconomics. It is required to have a solid background in Mathematics. Recommended minimum GPA is 7.0.
2. Grade Point Average
All students applying are required to obtain a:
- Recommended overall GPA of 7.0 with good grades in Econometrics or extended quantitative methods, Micro- and Macroeconomics all on intermediate level
Your GPA should be calculated over:
- all Bachelor's degree results (year 1-3), any additional Bachelor’s courses have to be included as well.
- If you have a Bachelor’s as well as a Master’s degree you need a recommended GPA of 7.0 in the Bachelor’s or the Master’s.
Send your GPA calculation along with your application, you do not have to update your GPA calculation after 1 June.
3. Motivation and initiative
Applicants are expected to have the intrinsic motivation to test and build upon this knowledge. Coursework is designed in keeping with this expectation and demands significant personal initiative and an active contribution on the part of the student. Applicants are asked to upload a motivation letter in their online application.