Researching the Performing Arts
The Theatre Studies programme engages with theatre and performance in terms of their rich histories and legacies, as well as their entanglements with contemporary social, political and cultural debates. It teaches methods of research to equip you with the capacity to critically and persuasively reflect on the performing arts.
Why study Theatre Studies at the University of Amsterdam?
- The UvA has the only dedicated Theatre Studies department in the Netherlands with undergraduate and graduate programmes, and strong ties with cultural venues and practitioners in the city.
- The opportunity to study in Amsterdam, a vibrant and creative cultural hub and the hotspot for theatre and performing arts in the Netherlands.
- You benefit from faculty expertise in four main areas: theatre history and historiography, theatre in education and sociology, applied and community arts research, and performance theory.
- Preparation for a wide range of careers in theatre and performance: from scholarly research, arts administration or theatre in education to archival work, cultural programming and more.
- A programme committed to heightening sensitivities in the discipline with questions about colonialism, race, gender and sexuality, as well as inequalities on a global scale.
- Rigorous mentorship and sustained guidance in all stages of your dissertation research.
Interested? Become a Student for a Day!
As a student in the Master’s programme in Theatre Studies you will be expected to have the following knowledge, insight and skills:
- You have a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university and have taken academic courses equivalent to at least one full-time semester of academic studies (30 EC) in theatre, drama or performance studies.
- You are able to conduct research independently and know how to formulate consistent and functional research questions, collect material, apply theory, and write a thesis.
- You are familiar with a wide range of theatre texts, theatre productions and performance genres.
- You are ready to immerse yourself in the vibrant cultural landscape in Amsterdam with its many different theatre and performance offerings.
- In class you contribute to an engaged (international) classroom by participating actively.
Theatre Studies is an accredited degree programme of Arts and Culture. After
successful completion of this programme, you will receive a legally accredited
Master’s degree in Arts and Culture and the title Master of Arts (MA).