For best experience please turn on javascript and use a modern browser!

Admissions FAQ

These are some of the frequently asked questions for the admissions procedure for the one-year Master’s tracks offered at the Graduate School of Psychology of the University of Amsterdam. However, if you have any questions about your admission for the two-year Research Master Psychology, please send them to

Can you check my curriculum and tell me if I am eligible?

We don’t do preliminary assessments of information sent by email to see whether you are eligible, unfortunately. Please upload your transcript and other required documents in your application. Your eligibility will only be assessed based on a  complete application file.

Studielink tells me that my previous education has to be verified. What should I do?

This is a message that Studielink shows automatically. It is safe to ignore this message as long as you complete the entire application procedure before the deadline (see information listed under the header “application & admission” on the webpage of the track you intend to apply for). If we receive your application on time, we will process it and our credential evaluation team will verify whether your degree meets the standards of our programme.

I am trying to apply for a Master’s track through Studielink. I cannot seem to select the track of my choice. What should I do?

When registering in Studielink, you should select the Master’s programme ‘Psychology’ at the University of Amsterdam.  Students who want to apply for a clinical track (offered in Dutch only) should choose the option ‘Gezondheidszorgpsychologie’. You will be then be able to specify the master's track. See the step-by-step plan under 'application and admission' for further information. 

I have registered in Studielink and submitted the online application form in MyInfo. When will I hear something about my application?

For the admissions round of September 2020 you will receive the outcome around mid-May 2020. 

Can I apply for more than one Master’s track?

Yes, you can choose one track in Studielink. In MyInfo you will be able to choose a second Master's track. 

I am already enrolled in a Master’s programme at the UvA in the current academic year. I want to apply for a second Master’s track, starting in September 2020. I cannot seem to apply in Studielink, what should I do?

Please get in touch with the Admissions Office at (unless you have already emailed us, then we will get back to you). We will send you the information you need in order to submit your application for a second Master’s track.

I do not meet all entry requirements. Can I apply for the pre-Master’s?

Click ‘pre-Master’s’ find all relevant information.

General questions 

I am interested in a Psychology Master’s, but I’m not sure about the possibilities. Can you help me?

You can browse through all Psychology Master’s tracks here. To find out whether you are eligible, please check the the entry requirements; please click on the track of your choice, then choose ‘application and admission’, and then ‘entry requirements’ in the submenu.

What is a track? What’s the difference between a track and the regular Master’s programme?

The Graduate School of Psychology offers three Master’s of Science programmes:

  • Psychology 
  • Healthcare Psychology (Dutch-taught only),
  • Research Master’s in Psychology.

A master’s track is a specialisation within a Master’s programme, with a specific profile and (partly) specific modules.

Within the Master’s programme in Psychology we offer 10 master’s tracks, 9 of those are offered in English: Behavioural Data Science, Brain & Cognition in Society, Coaching & Vitality in Organisations, Consultancy and Organisational Development, Cultural Psychology, Development & Health Psychology, Human Resource and Career Management, Sport and Performance Psychology and Social Influence.

Within the Master’s programme in Healthcare Psychology we offer 5 Master’s tracks, all of which are offered in Dutch only.

There are no tracks in the Research Master’s in Psychology. This Master’s has a major/minor system instead.

How should I pay my tuition fee?

For questions about tuition fees and payment, please contact UvA’s Student Service Desk (SSD). Please read this page about tuition payment; should you have any further questions, you can contact the SSD through this link.

Questions about the requirements 

I took a course/ a semester in English, is this enough for the English requirement?

The English requirement means that you need to have passed an entirely English-taught Bachelor’s or Master’s degree. So separate courses and/or a semester abroad is not enough to be exempted from handing in your English test scores.

What does an  EC stand for?

EC stands for a European Credit. In the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS), one EC represents 28 hours of workload, including class attendance, self-study and examination.

I am not sure if I have enough EC’s for each requirement. Could you check my curriculum to see if I meet the requirements?

1 EC (European Credit) counts as a 28-hours workload. This website contains some useful information about the European Credit system that you may want to read.
In order to compare your credits to ECs, we advise you to ask your university how they usually do this. They will most likely have a way to measure the workload which can be compared or converted to ECs.

If you meet the entry requirements, we advise you to apply, even if you’re not totally sure about the credit and level comparison. Once we receive your application, our credential evaluation team will check whether your curriculum and diploma meet the standards of our programme.

I have relevant work experience, but I do not meet all academic requirements. Can I apply?

In order to be eligible, you have to meet the academic requirements as listed on the entry requirements page. Work experience can be an addition to, but no substitute for the academic requirements.


Questions about a pre-Master's programme

I want to apply for the pre-master’s (EU candidates only), but I have nothing to fill out in the ‘proof of qualifications - track-specific requirements’ document. What should I do?

Fill out your name and student number in this form, and add a sentence in the table saying that you want to apply for the pre-master’s programme. In case you do meet part of these requirements, fill out the corresponding courses and add your course descriptions. Note that you do have to meet the basic requirements, so please fill out and upload the ‘proof of qualifications – basic requiremets’ documents accordingly.

I am currently doing a pre-master’s programme for this track. Should I submit my application in MyInfo?

Yes, you should submit your application according to our instructions and upload all requested documents. In the ‘proof of qualifications – track-specific’ document, please mention that you are currently doing a pre-master’s programme and fill out your pre-master’s courses here.

Questions about application outcome

My fellow students have already heard back about their application. I have not. Was my application rejected?

You will hear from us around mid-May 2020. Some other students may have already received a reply, still we kindly ask for your patience.

I got accepted and I have been asked to send in a certified hardcopy of my diploma. My university doesn’t issue certified copies or they charge a high fee for this. Am I allowed to send a notary certified copy instead?

Yes, we do accept a notary certified copy of your diploma.

Due to the coronavirus I have not yet been able to finish my Bachelor's programme. Can I start with my master nevertheless?

The UvA will make it possible for you to start with your Master’s, even if your Bachelor’s has not yet been fully completed. We call this ‘a soft cut with restrictions’. There is normally a ‘hard cut’ and you cannot start your Master’s until you have obtained your Bachelor's.

Master's in Psychology
If you have a limited study delay, you can nevertheless be admitted to the Psychology Master’s, but only if the delay came about during courses in the second semester of this academic year (blocks 4, 5 and 6) and is corona-related. Your delay may also not exceed 15 ECTS, and these courses may not be part of the basic and track-specific selection requirements of your master track. With a delay of more than 15 ECTS, it’s no longer an achievable study programme: the student would have to earn too many ECTS in one year.


  • You can complete the ‘missing’ Bachelor’s courses during the Master’s. You’ll be given the opportunity to do so throughout the academic year 2020-2021. This guideline also applies to students who wish to transfer from a Bachelor's programme at another Dutch university to a Master's programme at the UvA. You have to (re)register for both programmes.
  • You can apply for Admission with a study delay as of July 1st.
  • If you wish to transfer from a Bachelor's programme at another Dutch university to a Master's programme at the UvA, you’re application will need to include:
  1. A transcript of your Bachelor results
  2. A statement from the current university showing that the delay came about in the 2nd semester and that you have already obtained at least 165 EC of your Bachelor's program.