In the third and last semester of the programme, students carry out an internship project at an institution that cares for or makes accessible audio-visual media, either in the Netherlands or abroad.
Past internship projects include:
- identification and cataloguing of acetate and nitrate films, digital file management and storage, and presentation and access projects at the EYE Filmmuseum, Amsterdam
- film restoration (analogue and digital), sound restoration, and digital mastering at L’Immagine Ritrovata film laboratory, Bologna
- cataloguing and description of video works by Cardenas and Hooykaas & Stansfield at the Netherlands Media Art Institute – Montevideo/Time Based Arts (now LIMA)
- research and content production for the European BIRTH project on early television at the Institute for Sound and Vision, Hilversum and the BBC, London
- identification of films from the First World War and film digitisation at the Deutsches Filminstitut (DIF) film archive, Frankfurt/Wiesbaden
- identification, film scanning and digital restoration at Cinemathek/Royal Belgian Film Archive, Brussels
- film restoration (repair, scanning, retouch and grading, mastering) at Deluxe film laboratories, London
- cataloguing, video transfer, client contact and blogging for human rights organisation Witness, New York
- development of a website for the online distribution of films and programming of experimental shorts for the International Film Festival Rotterdam
- AV cataloguing, Country Music Hall of Fame, Nashville
- exhibition research and production for the Filmoteca de Catalunya, Barcelona
- research and production for archival DVDs published by the Österreichisches Filmmuseum, Vienna.
The Preservation and Presentation of the Moving Image programme has an extensive international network of internship providers, but also helps students pursue internship possibilities outside of this network. The range of internship options varies from year to year, depending among others on project and supervisor availability in (often non-profit) institutions.
Additional internship allowance
Students taking a dual Master's programme may be eligible for an additional internship allowance.