Voor de beste ervaring schakelt u JavaScript in en gebruikt u een moderne browser!
Je gebruikt een niet-ondersteunde browser. Deze site kan er anders uitzien dan je verwacht.

Studying with a disability, dyslexia or chronic illness

The University of Amsterdam would like students to develop themselves in a stimulating and pleasant setting. In case you have a disability, dyslexia or chronic illness, special adjustments and support might be needed. We offer different sorts of support and counselling, to be able to offer you the best possible study time.

Our facilities

Are you interested in a study at the University of Amsterdam - or are you already studying - and do you have a disability? In case you need adjustments in class or at exams, we will gladly help.

The UvA offers, depending on your disability, various possibilities for support during courses and exams in order to offer you a pleasant as possible program. However, examination arrangements cannot influence the quality nor degree of difficulty of a course or study programme. In the information below, you can read what to expect in support from us.

Please note:

  • Facilities at the UvA may deviate from advice for facilities by experts or other educational institutions.
  • Start your request in time: at least 4 months before the start of your studies and at least 6 weeks before you have a test or exam.
  • Who can you contact?

    Student counsellors

    • To request an examination or another arrangement, you can make an appointment with a student counsellor. The student counsellor will advise the contact person of your programme, based on your medical report or submitted dyslexia report, about your eligibility for the arrangement(s) and the period of validity of this/these arrangement(s).
    • It is advisable to contact a student counsellor in due time, preferably before the start of the academic year. The student counsellor can tell you more about the facilities and help that the UvA offers for students with a disability.
    • You can also contact a student counsellor for questions about (financial) support in case of study delay.
    • The student counsellors also offer training and workshops study skills that can be of great use if you have study problems or want to prevent them.

    Study advisers

    The study adviser is your first point of contact within the program, for example if you have questions about your timetable or planning. The details of the study adviser can be found on the page of your study.

    Student psychologists

    For psychological problems, please contact a student psychologist.

    Student doctor

    If you have study-related health problems (such as RSI and stress), you may also contact a student doctor.

    Student Careers Centre

    If you would like advice or support when looking for, or applying for, a job, please contact the Student Careers Centre. Our career advisers have experience in guiding students with various limitations and/or special personal circumstances.

    UvA IDEAs

    UvA IDEAs (previously: Student Disability Platform) is a platform run by students with a disability who are committed to creating an accessible and inclusive UvA where every student has the opportunity to get the most out of his or her studies without obstacles as a result of a disability and/or chronic illness.

  • Any questions left?

    If you haven’t found the answers you were looking for, please don't hesitate to send an email to the address below. Your question will be answered within a week.

Header image by Cris Renma (Pixabay)