Voor de beste ervaring schakelt u JavaScript in en gebruikt u een moderne browser!
Student counsellors

Student counsellors

Information for international students

Student counsellors

The student counsellor supports UvA students with advice and information. Everything that is discussed with the student counsellor is confidential.

How can we help? 

A student counsellor supports, provides advice and informs students. You can ask questions or have problems that are not directly related to the curriculum (the content of your study programme), but to you as a person. Consultations with a student counsellor are confidential.

  • When do you go to a study advisor, when to a student counselor?
    • If you have questions about the timetable or your study planning, you can make an appointment with your study adviser.
    • In case you have personal problems - which may lead to study delay - it is necessary to discuss the matter with your study adviser as soon as possible.
  • Contact us in time

    Don't wait too long to contact us. The sooner we know about your situation, the greater the chance that we can advise you adequately. You can call, email or make an appointment. Due to the corona crisis, this will currently not be an on-site appointment, but an appointment bij  telephone or Skype.

  • Topics for which you can go to a student counsellor

    Special circumstances

    There may be special circumstances that influence your study progress, regardless of whether you have yet to start your study programme or have been studying for a while now. In case of these circumstances you can, if you need or want to, talk to a student counsellor confidentially. Circumstances are for example top-class athletics, a disability for which you need specific adaptations to enable studying, illness, pregnancy or parenthood and family circumstances (e.g. informal caregiving).

    Help with your application for facilities

    You can contact a student counsellor for assistance with applying for several facilities. A student counsellor can help you with:

    • applying for examination or other educational arrangements
    • applying for a financial compensation in case of study delay caused by illness or other personal circumstances
    • obtaining a grant or scholarship from a private fund for financing your study abroad. For a couple of funds, an accompanying letter from a student counsellor is required. (Make an appointment with a student counsellor long before the deadline of the particular fund!)
    • applying for a private fund to partly finance your study costs, if you are no longer eligible for a student grant
    • applying for other grants for which you may be eligible, such as financial assistance for administrative activities.

    Other topics

    • For individual guidance, help and advice
    • Help in case of study delay
    • Problems with student finance
    • Assistance with filing an objection and/or an instituting appeals proceedings