Amsterdam University College (AUC) is a joint institute of the University of Amsterdam and the Vrije Universiteit. AUC is looking for an Administrative Officer to join its professional support staff team.
- A broad liberal arts and sciences programme at Bachelor level, offering breadth and depth of learning by focusing on far-reaching themes and real-world problems in science and society, thus crossing the boundaries between science, social science, and the humanities;
- aiming high at academic excellence, honours degree, selection of students and high calibre staff;
- an international and intercultural focus reflected in a diverse and international student and staff body, an international curriculum and classroom setting, with English as the language of teaching and learning;
- an engaging academic and social context supported by small class size, an attractive and modern residential college setting, and state-of-the-art facilities;
- reaching out to the community through off-campus community engagement or in-company internships.
AUC is looking for an Administrative Officer to join its team to support the smooth functioning of AUC’s governance, management, and representation bodies (medezeggenschapsorganen) and our student/education administration.
Your tasks as Administrative Officer will include (but are not limited to) the following:
- you will be the Secretary (administrative secretary or ambtelijk secretaris) of the AUC Board of Studies (opleidingscommissie). This will involve secretarial, administrative and organisation-related and policy preparatory work for the Board of Studies, so that they are optimally supported in decision-making and implementation;
- you will assist the AUC College Secretary and, in peak periods, the Secretary of the AUC Board of Examiners (examencommissie) in their work in support of AUC’s governance, management and administrative processes;
- you will have a shared responsibility (with other staff members) for general administrative support of student and educational administration procedures, including handling enquiries and requests sent to the AUC service desk by students and staff.
You will report to the Managing Director.
- You have a preference for (and preferably experience with) working in a dynamic international academic environment;
- you enjoy working in a service-oriented environment;
- you pay meticulous attention to detail;
- you have the capacity and willingness to learn quickly on the job;
- you have the ability to act with tact, diplomacy, discretion and respect for confidentiality and data privacy;
- you show initiative and are self-motivated;
- you handle crises and the unexpected with composure;
- you are a good team player but are also able to work independently.
- You have an awareness of and experience in the processes of staff and student representation in education (medezeggenschap) and preferably experience as an administrative secretary (ambtelijk secretaris) of a representative body (medezeggenschapsorgaan) or closely equivalent role;
- it is an advantage if you also have experience of working in educational and student administration systems (e.g. UvA SIS, Osiris, SAP) and call management systems (e.g. TopDesk);
- you have studied to at least hbo level or its equivalent.
Knowledge and skills
- You have well-developed skills with MS Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint);
- you have excellent verbal and written communication skills: excellent English is required (level B2/C1 in Common European Framework of Reference for Languages), good Dutch is an advantage;
- you have well-developed interpersonal and intercultural communication skills;
- you have good organisational and time management skills;
- you can work to strict deadlines.
If you require more information about the position please contact:
We envisage that the position will be 23 hours a week, including up to 7.6 hours (1 day) a week allocated to the role of Secretary of the Board of Studies. An immediate start is possible. The appointment is offered for one year in the first instance with the possibility of extension. Depending on experience, the salary for the position will be €2,579 to €3,895 (scale 8 to 9) gross per month based on 38 hours per week. The function is connected to UFO profile Secretary (Secretaris), combined with Student Affairs Officer (Medewerker Studentenzaken). All AUC employees are employees of the University of Amsterdam (UvA). The UvA has an extensive package of secondary benefits, including a generous holiday allowance and end of year allowance. The Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities is applicable.
The UvA is an equal-opportunity employer. We prioritise diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for everyone. We value a spirit of enquiry and perseverance, provide the space to keep asking questions, and promote a culture of curiosity and creativity.
Application letter in English, and CV, should be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please mention vacancy number 19-474 in the e-mail subjec. #LI-POST
No agencies please