Assistant professors in Political Communication and Journalism
Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences – Department of Communication Science
- Publication date
- 8 March 2017
- Level of education
- Salary indication
- €3,427 to €5,330 gross per month, based on 38 hours per week
- Closing date
- 15 April 2017
- 30,4 to 38 hours per week
- Vacancy number
Communication Science at the University of Amsterdam focuses on the production, uses, and consequences of information and communication in informing, persuading, and entertaining citizens. There are currently four program groups: Political Communication & Journalism, Persuasive Communication, Corporate Communication, and Youth& Media Entertainment.
With 1,600 undergraduate and graduate students, Communication Science is among the biggest departments at the University of Amsterdam. The College of Communication and the Graduate School of Communication offer a Bachelor and Master program, a European joint degree program in Journalism and a Research Master, the only of its kind in the Netherlands. The research is organized in the Amsterdam School of Communication Research ASCoR. ASCoR hosts the Research Priority Area Communication of the UvA (awarded in 2011). Communication Science at the University of Amsterdam received a top ranking in the 2015 QS World University Rankings by Subject 2015: number 1 in Continental Europa, Number 8 worldwide.
An Assistant professor
- teaches regular modules in the curricula of Communication Science at the Bachelor and Master level. The Master program and the Research Master program are taught in English. The Bachelor program has a Dutch and an English-language track;
- supervises and evaluates internships, Bachelor theses and Master theses;
- participates in committees, groups and projects in the program group;
- conducts research on Political Communication & Journalism within the ASCoR research program.
The Assistant professor will be part of the program group Political Communication & Journalism, chaired by Prof. Claes de Vreese.
- a PhD in one of the Social Sciences, preferably Communication Science, or at least have extensive knowledge of the discipline;
- teaching experience;
- excellent command of spoken and written English;
- in-depth academic knowledge of political communication and/or journalism, as proven by previous academic activities and publications in international journals;
- the qualities to apply for competitive grants;
- a strong empirical-analytical research profile.
Excellent PhD candidates in their final phase are explicitly encouraged to apply.
For specific questions about the job position, please contact:
The assistant professor position is scale 11 or 12 ranging from €3,427 to €5,330 gross per month (full-time). The committee will make an offer pending the vacancy and the experience and track record of the candidate. The position is for a fixed term of 2 years. The preferred starting date is September 2017. The Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities is applicable.
The deadline for applications is 15 April 2017. You may submit your application by sending us a cover letter stating your motivations and qualifications, a resume (curriculum vitae) and contact details for three potential references. You may direct your application to ms. M.Schmidt.
No agencies please