For best experience please turn on javascript and use a modern browser!

Visas and permits

Information for prospective students

Study visa and study residence permit

In order to be able to study in the Netherlands, you may need to apply for a residence permit and/or an entry visa. This depends on your nationality.


Choose your nationality:

European Union / European Economic Area and Switzerland

You will not need a visa and/or residence permit.

Australia, Canada, and New Zealand

You will need a residence permit.

USA, Japan, South Korea, Monaco or Vatican City

You will need a residence permit.

Students with other nationalities

You will need an entry visa and residence permit.

More than one nationality?

If you have more than one nationality, you may choose which nationality you would like to use. If one of these nationalities is EU/EEA or Swiss, we recommend to use this nationality, as then you will not need a residence permit.

Schengen Area

Residence permits arranged by the UvA will allow you to travel freely (up to 90 days every six months) in the Schengen Area, which makes trips to Spain, France, Germany and other European countries possible.

Other visa and residence permit types

  • You may also qualify for a different type of residence permit than student residency. For more information, visit the website of the IND.
  • The UvA can, however, only assist you with permits and visa for study purposes.

Extending your residence permit

  • You must extend your residence permit before your current one expires. You can start the application for the extension of your residence permit 3 months before the expiration date of your current residence permit.
  • The costs of an extension of your residence permit are €180.

Residence permit extension

Staying after graduation

When you graduate from the UvA, you may apply for a one-year residence permit in order to search for employment in the Netherlands. This is called an Orientation Year Permit. For more information, follow the link below.

Orientation year permit