UvA Master's Introduction
on 29 August 2017
All new international Master's students at the University of Amsterdam (UvA) are cordially invited to attend a special introduction day on Tuesday, 29 August 2017.
On this page:
The main purpose of this event is to give you a warm welcome and prepare you for your studies. You will have the opportunity to meet many other international Master’s students in Amsterdam. The Master’s Introduction is organised exclusively for international students starting a full-time Master’s degree.
Programme 29 August 2017
09:00-09:30 Registration at DeLaMarTheatre
09:30-10:00 Official welcome
10:00-11:00 Info session Get Connected
11:00-11:30 Coffee break with Dutch sweetness
11:30-13:00 Crash course Do Dutch
13:00-15:00 Typical Dutch lunch* & Canal Cruise through Amsterdam's historical city
* Unfortunately, because of the large number of students, we cannot take into account allergies or dietary requirements. Of course, feel free to bring your own (alternative) lunch.
Last year on 30 August 2016
All new, international Master's students at the University of Amsterdam (UvA) were cordially invited to attend a special introduction day on Tuesday, 30 August.
During the Master’s Introduction Day, we will look into some factors that positively influence a successful completion of your Master’s programme. Furthermore, we would like to provide you with tools to help you get the most out of your international Master's.
- Get connected will help you connect digitally and socially. It will point out helpful sources like UvA Student Services, Dutch apps and the city of Amsterdam. You will be able to meet a couple of students experienced in the Dutch student life.
- Next, the Institute of Dutch Language Education will introduce you to the Dutch culture, language and urban buzz of Amsterdam: a crash course called ‘Do Dutch’.
- The rest of the programme includes an official welcome by several representatives of the UvA and a typically Dutch lunch. We will end the Master’s Introduction Day with a unique way to experience the city. While you are eating famous Dutch cheese, you will be shown the attractive city from the water. A canal cruise will take you along the famous sights that Amsterdam’s historical city has to offer.
Participation is not mandatory, but is highly recommended, because it will be a great start of your international Master’s experience at the UvA and in Amsterdam.
- The early bird tickets for the Master’s Introduction Day cost €25 and are available until 1 August.
- From 1 August onwards, the fee is €35.
In case you decide not to participate in the Master’s Introduction Day after your registration, please note that a refund is not possible. Registration is strictly personal and it is not possible to resell tickets or make use of someone else’s place.
The UvA will not be responsible for any loss or damage that may result from participation during the Master's Introduction Day. Read more about taking care of your safety in Amsterdam.
If you have been admitted to a Master programme at the University of Amsterdam, you will be invited by email to join the Master’s Introduction Day. The deadline is 18 August, or until the maximum capacity has been reached.
Registration will open shortly.
Faculty introduction day(s)
Apart from the Master’s Introduction Day, your Faculty will organise a mandatory introduction day or days. This Faculty Introduction will take place on Wednesday 30 August and/or on Thursday 31 August 2017. It will be focussed on practical study information, and is a great opportunity to meet your fellow students and staff and teachers of the Faculty.
You will receive an invitation for this particular Faculty introduction from your programme. In case you have questions about this Faculty introduction, please contact them directly.
Other Introduction Parties
As an international Master’s student, you cannot participate in the full programme of the Intreeweek or the ISN Amsterdam Summer Introduction Week, because these are especially for Bachelor’s and Exchange students. You can, however, join the ISN Final Party and the Intreeweek Final Party. (The Master’s Introduction Day and the Faculty Introduction day(s) are organised especially for UvA Master’s students.)
ISN Final Party
The International Student Network Amsterdam will organise - as part of the Summer Introduction (for International Bachelor & Exchange students) - a Final Party on Friday, 25 August. It will take place in The Melkweg, one of Amsterdam’s finest city centre venues. You are more than welcome to join this party and have a great night out with other new international students.
Tickets are low-priced: €10. You can make a ticket reservation and pay this at the entrance. Or you can buy a ticket at the entrance without a reservation (we cannot guarantee entrance in that case). Make sure you pick up your reserved ticket before midnight.
Tickets will be available in June or July 2017.
INTREE Final Party
The Intreeweek (Introduction week for UvA Bachelor’s students) is hosting a grand closing party on Friday, 1 September, between 23:00 and 04:00 (am). You are, as a Master’s student, more than welcome to join this party for only €15. It will take place in Amsterdam’s finest city centre venues: Paradiso, The Melkweg and The Sugarfactory. From tech-house to R&B, from hiphop to pop - we will make sure there is a style for everyone.
Attend our event on Facebook for the full line-up.
If you need further information about the Master’s Introduction Day on 29 August, you can send your questions to email@example.com.