As in many major European cities, the demand for reasonably priced housing in Amsterdam is very high. Affordable housing available to UvA students is therefore limited. Students in general are advised to start looking for accommodation as early as possible. For our international students, each year we reserve a range of furnished accommodation in Amsterdam with different housing corporations.
Housing for international students
- To assist international students in finding accommodation, the University has agreements with various housing corporations. These corporations offer furnished accommodation to students for one or maximum two semesters. In total, the UvA has more than 1,700 rooms to allot to international students.
- The rent for these rooms varies according to type, size and location. Students cannot apply for rooms themselves, but must be invited by their faculties. Not every faculty guarantees student housing, but in the last few years we have been able to offer nearly all first-year international students a room. You can read all about the application and room reservation procedure here.
- Of course, students are free to search for accommodation on the private market. Look here for more information and advice on finding a room on your own.
Student housing locations
- The university accommodations are located in different areas of Amsterdam and Diemen. Room types and locations range from a flat with other students in the South East of the city to small scale accommodation in the city centre.
- All student buildings can be reached easily by public transport or by bike. You cannot apply for a specific location, but you will either receive a room offer, or you will be invited to search the housing corporation’s databases for available rooms.
- For more information on rooms at specific locations, you can visit the websites of the housing corporations.
- Read more about Amsterdam neighbourhoods in general here.
- De Key, DUWO and Ymere are non-profit social housing corporations located in Amsterdam.
- De Key owns more than 33,000 rental units, 6,000 of which are rented to (mainly Dutch) students. Around 1,500 rooms with different types of facilities are made available for short-term leases to international students at the UvA.
- DUWO is the oldest and biggest student accommodator in the Netherlands, and rents out approximately 16,000 units, mainly to (Dutch) students. In Amsterdam, the UvA reserves approximately 400 rooms to accommodate international students.
- The UvA rents 12 rooms from housing corporation Ymere.
Additional housing options are available for Dutch citizens. Please use the link below for information in Dutch.