dr. E. (Esther) Eiling
Faculty of Economics and Business
Plantage Muidergracht 12 Room number: M3.27
1001 NL Amsterdam
Esther Eiling is an Associate Professor of Finance at the University of Amsterdam. Her research focuses on human capital and asset pricing, as well as international finance, market integration and currency risk. Her research has been published in the Journal of Finance, the Review of Finance and the Journal of International Money and Finance. She is a Research Fellow at the Tinbergen Institute and a member of the Human Capital and Economic Opportunity Working Group at the Becker Friedman Institute. Prior to joining the University of Amsterdam, she was a faculty member at the University of Toronto, Rotman School of Management. Eiling received a PhD in Finance from Tilburg University.
Oct 2015 – present: Associate Professor of Finance, University of Amsterdam
Feb 2014 – Sep 2015: Visiting Assistant Professor of Finance, University of Amsterdam
Jul 2007 – Jun 2015: Assistant Professor of Finance, University of Toronto
Asset Pricing, Human Capital, International Finance, Market Integration, Currency Risk
HONORS AND AWARDS
2015 – present: Research Fellow of the Tinbergen Institute
2013 – present: Insight Grant; Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada
2012 – present: Member of Human Capital and Economic Opportunity Working Group (Markets), at the Becker Friedman Institute, the University of Chicago
2011 – 2015: Standard Research Grant; Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada
2008: Best Paper Award (Business Valuation Research), Northern Finance Association
2007: Best Paper Award (Capital Market Research), Northern Finance Association
- Eiling, E. (2013). Industry-Specific Human Capital, Idiosyncratic Risk and the Cross-Section of Expected Stock Returns. The Journal of Finance, 68(1), 43-84. DOI: 10.1111/j.1540-6261.2012.01794.x
- Eiling, E., Gerard, B., & de Roon, F. A. (2012). Euro-zone equity returns: country versus industry effects. Review of Finance, 16(3), 755-798. DOI: 10.1093/rof/rfq034
- Eiling, E., Gerard, B., Hillion, P., & de Roon, F. A. (2012). International portfolio diversification: currency, industry and country effects revisited. Journal of international Money and Finance, 31(5), 1249-1278. DOI: 10.1016/j.jimonfin.2012.01.015
- Eiling, E., Kan, R., & Sharifkhani, A. (in press). Sectoral Labor Reallocation and Return Predictability. working paper.
- de Roon, F. A., Eiling, E., Gerard, B., & Hillion, P. (in press). Currency Risk Hedging: No Free Lunch. working paper.
- No ancillary activities