dr. A.E. (Arno) Kourula
Faculty of Economics and Business
Section International Strategy & Marketing
Plantage Muidergracht 12 Amsterdam
Room number: M2.29
1001 NL Amsterdam
Assistant Professor of Strategy (tenured)
Strategy and Marketing
Base of the pyramid
Roles in interorganizational networks
Political role of corporations
Company Engagement with Nongovernmental Organizations from a Corporate Responsibility Perspective (2009; Aalto University School of Business; Helsinki, Finland).
Prizes and honours
Van der Schroeff award (lecturer of the year) for 2016.
Best Reviewer (2011) of Social Issues in Management Division, Academy of Management.
Scholarships from Foundation for Economic Education, Helsinki School of Economics Foundation, Jenny and Antti Wihuri Foundation, and Marcus Wallenberg Foundation.
Copenhagen Business School (Denmark): Fellow (2014-2015)
Aalto University School of Business (Finland): Docent (2013-)
Stanford University (USA): Visiting Scholar (2012-2013)
Stanford University (USA): Postdoctoral Research Fellow (2010-2012)
Helsinki School of Economics / Aalto University School of Business (Finland): D.Sc. Econ in 2009
Stanford University (USA): Visiting Scholar (2008)
Invited presentations in various universities in China, Denmark, Finland, Netherlands, Poland and U.S.A.
Amsterdam Business School
Business Strategy and Sustainability (Master)
Ethics, Responsibility, and Sustainability (MBA)
Business Ethics (Executive)
Business in Society (Research master)
Master's Thesis Supervision (supervised 52 master's theses by Feb 2017)
Previously at Aalto University
Environment, Sustainable Development, and Responsibility (Executive MBA)
Introduction to Business Law and Business Ethics (Bachelor)
International Corporate Responsibility (Master)
Workshop of Corporate Responsibility (MBA)
Master's and Bachelor's Thesis Supervision
Organisational contributions to conferences
- Organization Studies special issue paper development workshop in 2016 at Copenhagen Business School, Denmark.
- “Global Ethical Challenges of Finnish Corporations” in 2010 at Aalto University, Finland.
- Sub‐theme on “Creating and Sustaining Transnational Multi‐Actor Governance of Corporate Conduct”, EGOS 2015, Greece.
- Professional Development Workshop on “Academia and Civil Society: Rethinking Expectations, Practices and Tensions”, EGOS 2014, Netherlands.
- Pre‐colloquium workshop on “Debating the Future of CSR”, EGOS 2013, Canada.
- CR3 2011 conference at Hanken School of Economics, Finland.
- International Federation of Scholarly Associations of Management (IFSAM) 2010, France.
- Joint General 2008 Conference of Finnish Political Science and Sociology Associations, Finland.
- European Group for Organizational Studies (EGOS) 2014, 2015, and 2016; Cross‐sector Social Interaction (CSSI) 2014 and 2016; Academy of Management (AOM) 2011; CR3 conference 2011;
European International Business Academy (EIBA) 2009.
- 2 Professional Development Workshops at Academy of Management (AOM) 2015.
- Facilitator in 5 Professional Development Workshops at Academy of Management (AOM) 2009 onward; Discussant at European Group for Organizational Studies (EGOS) 2012, 2014, 2015, and
2016; Field commentator at Academy of Management (AOM) 2009; Roundtable chair at SCANCOR 20th anniversary conference in 2008 at Stanford University, U.S.A.
Member of Scientific Committee:
- Business and Society Research Seminar 2017, IESEG School of Management, France.
- GRONEN Research Conference 2014, Aalto University, Finland.
Participation in academic networks
Past and Present Memberships in Associations: Academy of International Business, Academy of Management, Alliance for Research on Corporate Sustainability, Complex Systems Research
Community, European Academy of Business in Society, European Academy of Management, European Business Ethics Network, European Group for Organizational Studies, EuropeanInternational Business Academy, International Association of Business in Society, Society for Business Ethics, and Strategic Management Society.
Membership editorial staff or referee activities
Editorial Board Member of Business & Society.
Editorial Board Member for Journal of World Business.
Senior Editor for Annual Review of Social Partnerships.
Ad hoc reviewer for for 26 journals: Accounting, Auditing and Accountability Journal, British Journal of Management, Business and Professional Ethics Journal, Business Ethics Quarterly, Business & Society, California Management Review, Ecological Economics, Ecology & Society, International Journal of Management Reviews, Journal of Business Ethics, Journal of Business Research, Journal of Cleaner Production, Journal of Current Chinese Affairs, Journal of Management Inquiry, Journal of Management Studies, Journal of World Business, Long Range Planning, Management and Organization Review, Organization, Organization & Environment, Organization Studies, Regional Studies, Socio‐Economic Review, Supply Chain Management: An International Journal, Scandinavian Journal of Management, and Sustainable Development.
Reviewer for various professorship positions, books, grant applications, and conferences (AOM, SMS, AIB, IABS, EIBA; CSSI).
Best Reviewer of 2011, Social Issues in Management Division, Academy of Management.
Membership of academic committees (including Ph. D committees)
Society for Business Ethics best dissertation award committee Chair, Vice-Chair and Member (2012- 2015).
Research project Advisory Board Member, University of Jyväskylä (2016‐).
Dissertation co-advisor for Janni Thusgaard Pedersen, Copenhagen Business School (2010-).
Dissertation co-advisor for Eeva Houtbeckers, Aalto University School of Economics (2013-2016).
Dissertation co-advisor Kristjan Jespersen, Copenhagen Business School (2015-).
Dissertation committee member for Marijane Jonsson, Stockholm School of Economics (2012-2015).
External Reviewer of doctoral dissertation of Tommi Lampikoski, Aalto University School of Business, Finland (2015).
External Reviewer of doctoral dissertation of Cle‐Anne Gabriel Bortsie‐Aryee, University of Otago, New Zealand (2015).
Assessment policy working group Member at Amsterdam Business School (2016‐2017).
Recruitment committee member for International Strategy and Marketing at Amsterdam Business School (2014-2015)
Examination board member for MBA and MIF programs at Amsterdam Business School (2012-2013).
Doctoral program committee member at Helsinki School of Economics (2009).
Chairman of the Board of Thesis, Helsinki School of Economics doctoral student association (2006-2008).
Board Member of AIMS, a Stanford postdoctoral association (2010-2012).
Annual Review of Social Partnerships (Senior Editor)
Business & Society (Editorial board member)
Journal of World Business (Editorial board member)
- Kourula, A. E., Pisani, N., & Kolk, J. E. M. (2017). Corporate sustainability and inclusive development: highlights from international business and management research. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability, 24, 14-18. DOI: 10.1016/j.cosust.2017.01.003
- Pisani, N., Kourula, A. E., Kolk, J. E. M., & Meijer, R. (2017). How global is international CSR research? Insights and recommendations from a systematic review. Journal of World Business, 52, 591-614. DOI: 10.1016/j.jwb.2017.05.003
- Halme, M., Kourula, A. E., Lindeman, S., Kallio, G., Lima-Toivanen, M., & Korsunova, A. (2016). Sustainability Innovation at the Base of the Pyramid Through Multi-Sited Rapid Ethnography. Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management, 23(2), 113–128.
- Kourula, A., & Delalieux, G. (2016). The micro-level foundations and dynamics of political corporate social responsibility: hegemony and passive revolution through civil society. Journal of Business Ethics, 135(4), 769-785. DOI: 10.1007/s10551-014-2499-7 [details]
- Halme, M., Kourula, A., Lindeman, S., Kallio, G., Lima-Toivanen, M., & Korsunova, A. (2016). Sustainability Innovation at the Base of the Pyramid Through Multicited Rapid Ethnography. Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management, 23(2), 113-128. DOI: 10.1002/csr.1385
- Joutsevirta, M., & Kourula, A. (2015). The role of nongovernmental organizations in corporate social responsibility. In E. R. G. Pedersen (Ed.), Corporate social responsibility (pp. 267-288). Los Angeles, Calif.: Sage. [details]
- Midttun, A., Gjølberg, M., Kourula, A., Sweet, S., & Vallentin, S. (2015). Public Policies for Corporate Social Responsibility in Four Nordic Countries: Harmony of Goals and Conflict of Means. Business & Society, 54(4), 464-500. DOI: 10.1177/0007650312450848 [details]
- Mäkinen, J., & Kourula, A. (2013). Yritysvastuun yhteiskuntafilosofiaa. In I. Niiniluoto, R. Vilkko, & J. Kuorikoski (Eds.), Talous ja filosofia (pp. 155-167). Helsinki: Gaudeamus. [details]
- Laasonen, S., Fougère, M., & Kourula, A. (2012). Dominant articulations in academic business and society discourse on NGO-business relations: a critical assessment. Journal of Business Ethics, 109(4), 521-545. DOI: 10.1007/s10551-011-1143-z [details]
- Mäkinen, J., & Kourula, A. (2012). Pluralism in political corporate social responsibility. Business Ethics Quarterly, 22(4), 649-678. DOI: 10.5840/beq201222443 [details]
- Peterman, A., Kourula, A., & Levitt, R. (2012). A roadmap for navigating voluntary and mandated programs for building energy efficiency. Energy Policy, 43, 415-426. DOI: 10.1016/j.enpol.2012.01.026 [details]
- Delalieux, G., & Kourula, A. E. (2011). Nongovernmental organizations influence and capacity in management literature: The implicit influence of Tocqueville and explicit reference to Habermas. In R. Hull, J. Gibbon, O. Branzei, & H. Haugh (Eds.), The Third Sector. (pp. 57-73). (Dialogues in critical mangement studies; No. Vol. 1). Bingley, UK: Emerald.
- Kourula, A. E. (2010). Corporate engagement with nongovernmental organizations in different institutional contexts: A case of a forest productys company. Journal of World Business, 45(4), 395-404. DOI: 10.1016/j.jwb.2009.08.010
- Kourula, A. E., & Laasonen, S. (2010). Nongovernmental organizations in business and society, management, and international business research: Review and implications from 1998 to 2007. Business & Society, 49(1), 35-67. DOI: 10.1177/0007650309345282
- Kourula, A. E. (2009). Company engagement with nongovernmental organizations from a corporate responsibility perspective. (Acta Universitatis Oeconomicae Helsingiensis; No. A-355). Helsinki: Helsinki School of Economics.
- Kourula, A. E., & Halme, M. (2008). Types of corporate responsibility and engagement with nongovernmental organizations: An exploration of business and social outcomes. Corporate Governance, 8(4), 557-570. DOI: 10.1108/14720700810899275
- Makinen, J., & Kourula, A. E. (2008). The politics of corporate responsibility. niin & näin, 2008(4), 92-101.
- Haltsonen, I., Kourula, A. E., & Salmi, A. (2007). Stakeholder pressure and socially responsible purchasing. Finance, Marketing and Production, 2007(September), 47-56.
- Makinen, J., & Kourula, A. E. (2014). Globalization, National Politics and Corporate Social Responsibility. In R. Tainio, S. Merilainen, J. Makinen, & M. Laihonen (Eds.), Limits of Globalization - National Borders Still Matter. CBS Press.
- Midttun, A., Gjølberg, M., Kourula, A., Sweet, S., & Vallentin, S. (2013). Public policies for corporate social responsibility in advanced welfare states. In A. Midttun (Ed.), CSR and beyond: a Nordic perspective (pp. 261-286). Oslo: Cappelen Damm Akademisk. [details]
- Kourula, A. E. (2012). [Review of: A. Rasche, G. Kell. The United Nations Global Compact: Achievements, Trends and Challenges]. Business & Society, 52, 170-176. DOI: 10.1177/0007650312459922
- Joutsenvirta, M., & Kourula, A. E. (2011). Kansalaisaktivistit yritysten vastuun asialla (Civil society activists and corporate responsibility). In M. Joutsenvirta, M. Halme, M. Jalas, & J. Makinen (Eds.), Vastuullinen liiketoiminta kansainvalisessa maailmassa (Corporate responsibility in an international world). (pp. 210-230). Helsinki: Gaudeamus.
- Kourula, A. E. (2010). Finland. In W. Visser, & N. Tolhurst (Eds.), The world guide to CSR: A coutry-by-country analysis of corporate sustainability and responsibility. (pp. 151-157). Sheffield: Greenleaf.
- Kourula, A. E. (2007). Finnish corporations engagement with nongovernmental organizations. In M. Kamppinen, & P. Nurmi (Eds.), Responsible business. (pp. 80-91). Turku, Finland: Turku University.
- Kourula, A., & Houtbeckers, E. (2016). 10: Finland. In W. Visser (Ed.), The world guide to sustainable entrepreneurship. - Vol. 3: Europe (pp. 85-91). Sheffield, UK: Greenleaf Publishing. [details]
- Halme, M., Kallio, G., Korsunova, A., Kourula, A. E., Lima-Toivonen, M. B., Lindeman, S., & Peltonen, T. (2010). Final report: Practices at the Base of the Pyramid - Packaging, primary education, and mass communivation practices in Brazil, India, Russia, and Tanzania. Helsinki: TEKES and Forest Cluster.
- Aijala, P., Kourula, A. E., Siltanen, M., & Mustonen, E. (2006). The evaluation of Finnish NGOs development cooperation capacity. Helsinki: Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland, Department for Develoment Policy.
- Telford, J., Mikkola, E., Bianchi, P., & Kourula, A. E. (2005). The evaluation of Finnish humanitarian assistance 1996-2004. Helsinki: Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland, Department for Development Policy.
- No ancillary activities