dr. B. (Bram) Lancee
Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences
Programme group: Institutions, Inequalities and Life courses
Nieuwe Achtergracht 166 Room number: B6.20
Nieuwe Achtergracht 166
1018 WV Amsterdam
Bram Lancee is Associate Professor of Sociology at the University of Amsterdam in the Netherlands.Previously, he held a position as Assistant Professor at Utrecht University, and as Senior Researcher at the research unit ‘Migration, Integration, Transnationalization’ at the WZB Berlin Social Science Center. He obtained his PhD at the European University Institute in Florence, Italy (2010).
His academic interests include ethnic inequality in the labour market, social capital and social participation, attitudes towards immigrants, ethnic diversity, and quantitative research methods.
Bram is currrenly Work package leader in the Horizon 2020 project 'Growth, Equal Opportunities, Migration and Markets (GEMM; see also www.gemm2020.eu). The work package carries out field experiments on ethnic discrimination in the labour market in five countries (Germany, The Netherlands, Norway, Spain, United Kingdom). In another project funded by a personal Veni grant, Bram studies how to explain cross-national differences in ethnic penalties in the labour market.
For further information, including publications and research projects, please visit Bram's personal website
- Tulin, M., Lancee, B., & Volker, B. (2018). Personality and Social Capital. Social Psychology Quarterly, 81(4), 295-318. DOI: 10.1177/0190272518804533 [details]
- Dicks, A., & Lancee, B. (2018). Double disadvantage in school? Children of immigrants and the relative age effect: A regression discontinuity design based on the month of birth. European Sociological Review, 34(3), 319-333. DOI: 10.1093/esr/jcy014 [details]
- Sarrasin, O., Kuhn, T., & Lancee, B. (in press). What Explains Increasing Euroscepticism in Switzerland? A Longitudinal Analysis. In Social Dynamics in Swiss Society Springer.
- Lancee, B., & Bol, T. (2017). The transferability of skills and degrees: Why the place of education affects immigrant earnings. Social Forces, 96(2), 691-716. DOI: 10.1093/sf/sox058 [details]
- ten Berge, J. B., Lancee, B., & Jaspers, E. (2017). Can Interethnic Friends Buffer for the Prejudice Increasing Effect of Negative Interethnic Contact? A Longitudinal Study of Adolescents in the Netherlands. European Sociological Review, 33(3), 423-435. DOI: 10.1093/esr/jcx045 [details]
- Heisig, J. P., Lancee, B., & Radl, J. (2017). Ethnic Inequality in Retirement Income: A Comparative Analysis of Immigrant-Native Gaps in Western Europe. Ageing and Society. DOI: 10.1017/S0144686X17000332
- Lancee, B. (2016). The negative side effects of vocational education. A cross-national analysis of the relative unemployment risk of young non-western immigrants in Europe. American Behavioral Scientist, 60(5-6), 659-679. DOI: 10.1177/0002764216632835 [details]
- Lancee, B. (2016). Job search methods and immigrant earnings: A Longitudinal analysis of the role of bridging social capital. Ethnicities, 16(3), 349-367. DOI: 10.1177/1468796815581426 [details]
- Lancee, B., & Sarrasin, O. (2015). Educated preferences or selection effects? A longitudinal analysis of the impact of education attainment on attitudes towards immigrants. European Sociological Review, 31(4). DOI: 10.1093/esr/jcv008
- Lancee, B., Gesthuizen, M., & van de Werfhorst, H. (2015). Opleidingsverschillen in opvattingen over economische ongelijkheid in Nederland tussen 1975 en 2008. In H. van de Werfhorst (Ed.), Een kloof van alle tijden: verschillen tussen lager en hoger opgeleiden in werk, cultuur en politiek (pp. 195-218). Amsterdam: Amsterdam University Press. [details]
- Notten, N., Lancee, B., van de Werfhorst, H. G., & Ganzeboom, H. B. G. (2015). Educational stratification in cultural participation: cognitive competence or status motivation? Journal of Cultural Economics, 39(2), 177-203. DOI: 10.1007/s10824-014-9218-1 [details]
- Koopmans, R., Lancee, B., & Schaeffer, M. (Eds.) (2015). Social Cohesion and Immigration in Europe and North America: Mechanisms, Conditions, and Causality. (Routledge Advances In Sociology). Routledge.
- Bol, T., Lancee, B., & Steijn, S. (2014). Income Inequality and Gambling: A panel study in the United States (1980-1997). Sociological Spectrum, 34(1), 61-75. DOI: 10.1080/02732173.2014.857196 [details]
- Salverda, W., de Graaf-Zijl, M., Haas, C., Lancee, B., & Notten, N. (2014). The Netherlands: policy-enhanced inequalities tempered by household formation. In B. Nolan, W. Salverda, D. Checchi, I. Marx, A. McKnight, I. G. Tóth, & H. van de Werfhorst (Eds.), Changing inequalities and societal impacts in rich countries: thirty countries' experiences (pp. 459-487). Oxford: Oxford University Press. DOI: 10.1093/acprof:oso/9780199687428.003.0020 [details]
- Pardos-Prado, S., Lancee, B., & Sagarzazu, I. (2014). Immigration and Electoral Change in Mainstream Political Space. Political Behavior, 36(4). DOI: 10.1007/s11109-013-9248-y
- Lancee, B., & Seibel, V. (2013). Does Rural Origin Affect Immigrants' Contact with Natives? A Study of Turks in Six European Countries. Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, 40(9). DOI: 10.1080/1369183X.2013.858591
- de Vries, C. E., Hakhverdian, A., & Lancee, B. (2013). The dynamics of voters’ left/right identification: the role of economic and cultural attitudes. Political Science Research and Methods, 1(2), 223-238. DOI: 10.1017/psrm.2013.4 [details]
- Lancee, B., & Radl, J. (2012). Volunteering over the Life Course. Social Forces, 2(1). DOI: 10.1093/sf/sou090
- Lancee, B. (2012). Immigrant performance in the labour market: bonding and bridging social capital. (IMISCOE research). Amsterdam: Amsterdam University Press. [details]
- Lancee, B. (2012). The economic returns of bonding and bridging social capital for immigrant men in Germany. Ethnic and Racial Studies, 35(4), 664-683. DOI: 10.1080/01419870.2011.591405 [details]
- Lancee, B., & Hartung, A. (2012). Turkish migrants and native Germans compared: The effect of inter-ethnic and intra-ethnic friendships on the transition from unemployment to work. International Migration, 50(1), 39-54. DOI: 10.1111/j.1468-2435.2011.00736.x [details]
- Lancee, B., & Radl, J. (2012). Social connectedness and the transition from work to retirement. The Journals of Gerontology. Series B, Psychological Sciences and Social Sciences, 67(4), 481-490. DOI: 10.1093/geronb/gbs049 [details]
- Lancee, B., & van de Werfhorst, H. G. (2012). Income inequality and participation: a comparison of 24 European countries. Social Science Research, 41(5), 1166-1178. DOI: 10.1016/j.ssresearch.2012.04.005 [details]
- Lancee, B., & Dronkers, J. (2011). Ethnic, religious and economic diversity in Dutch neighbourhoods: explaining quality of contact with neighbours, trust in the neighbourhood and inter-ethnic trust. Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, 37(4), 597-618. DOI: 10.1080/1369183X.2011.545277 [details]
- Lancee, B., Burgoon, B., Corneo, G., Horn, D., Medgyesi, M., & van de Werfhorst, H. (2011). Political and cultural impacts of inequality. In W. Salverda (Ed.), Inequalities' impacts (pp. 133-140). (GINI State of the Art Review; No. 1). Amsterdam: Amsterdam Institute for Advanced labour Studies, University of Amsterdam. [details]
- Lancee, B. (2010). The economic returns of immigrants' bonding and bridging social capital: the case of the Netherlands. The International Migration Review, 44(1), 202-226. DOI: 10.1111/j.1747-7379.2009.00803.x [details]
- Lancee, B., & ter Hoeven, C. L. (2010). Self-rated health and sickness-related absence: the modifying role of civic participation. Social Science & Medicine, 70(4), 570-574. DOI: 10.1016/j.socscimed.2009.10.032 [details]
- Lancee, B., & Dronkers, J. (2008). Etnische diversiteit, sociaal vertrouwen in de buurt en contact van allochtonen en autochtonen met de buren. Migrantenstudies, 24(4), 224-249. [details]
- Lancee, B., & Dronkers, J. (2011). Ethnic diversity in neighborhoods and individual trust of immigrants and natives: a replication of Putnam (2007) in a West-European country. In M. Hooghe (Ed.), Social cohesion: contemporary theoretical perspectives on the study of social cohesion and social capital (pp. 77-103). Brussel: Koninklijke Vlaamse Academie van België voor Wetenschappen en Kunsten. [details]
- Salverda, W., Haas, C., de Graaf-Zijl, M., Lancee, B., Notten, N., & Ooms, T. (2013). Growing inequalities and their impacts in the Netherlands. (GINI country reports). Amsterdam: GINI. [details]
- Dronkers, J., & Lancee, B. (2009). Aandacht voor de Putnam-hypothese is in het geheel niet overdreven. Migrantenstudies, 25(2), 155-162. [details]
- Lancee, B. (2013). Etnische ongelijkheid op de arbeidsmarkt (NWO-Veni Grant).
- Lancee, B. (2012). Associate Member, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
Talk / presentation
- Lancee, B. (invited speaker) (17-11-2016). Sorting of immigrants in destination countries? The relative unemployment risk of recent non-western immigrants in Europe., University of Mannheim.
- Lancee, B. (invited speaker) (2015). The transferability of Skills and degrees. Ethnic inequality in the labor market., European University Institute, Florence..
- Lancee, B. (invited speaker) (2015). The transferability of Skills and degrees. Ethnic inequality in the labor market., Juan March Foundation.
- Lancee, B. (invited speaker) (2014). Ethnic discrimination in the German Labour market. A field experiment., Freie Universität Berlin.
- Lancee, B. (invited speaker) (2014). Immigrant Performance on the Labour Market, Free University Brussels.
- Lancee, B. (invited speaker) (2012). Immigrant performance in the labour market. Bonding and bridging social capital., Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Lancee, B. (invited speaker) (2012). Job referrals and immigrants’ occupational status. The role of bridging social capital., German Institute for Economic (DIW), Berlin.
- Lancee, B. (invited speaker) (1-2-2012). Immigrant performance in the labour market. Bonding and bridging social capital, Sociology Seminar, Nuffield college, University of Oxford.
- Lancee, B. (invited speaker) (2010). Ethnic, religious and economic diversity in the neighbourhood, University of Utrecht, Utrecht.
- Lancee, B. (2010). The economic returns of immigrants’ bonding and bridging social capital Florence
- No ancillary activities