dr. A.M. (Ana) Oprescu
Faculty of Science
Science Park A
Science Park 904
1090 GH Amsterdam
CloudIA: An user-centric decision framework for a-la-carte Cloud Applications
The summary of my proposal:
The cloud market should make computing accessible to more users and promises unprecedented flexibility for their applications. These promises fall short, because cloud computing remains too complex for most users: biologists, physicists, astronomers, financial-experts, or data-analysts have to choose (before execution) the cloud computing resources (CPU types, CPU numbers, memory, disk space, network bandwidth) suitable for their applications.
My goal with this project is to break this usability barrier, and provide a system to guide users when “shopping" in the cloud computing market. Essentially, I will provide cloud computing a-la-carte: users specify desired application behaviour, and CloudIA provides them with a customized cloud deployment configuration.
Surprisingly, cloud providers have not already solved this problem, although they should tailor to their customer needs to survive. Actually, providers rely on the naivety of users, and offer pre-packaged, typically under/over-provisioned services. In turn, users have to shrink/expand their needs to fit these packages, an "adaptation" leading to losses in performance and/or money.
With different requirements from application to application and from execution to execution, the pre-packaging approach does not scale. Thus, CloudIA will embed methods for systematic translations of requirements into feasible cloud services offerings. I will (1)develop new methods to automatically extract resource requirements as a function of the user’s performance expectation, (2)design mechanisms to construct (near-)optimal sets of deployment solutions (i.e. solving the trade-off between the resources required to maintain the expected level of performance and their costs), (3)show how dynamic cloud computing service offerings, needed to address the dynamic requests from the users, will change the cloud providers market (for the better).
My results will have a strong impact on both cloud users, by simplifying their interaction with the providers, and cloud providers, by creating a dynamic view of cloud computing commodities, leading to a more competitive cloud computing market.
Letters of support:
- Kapteyn Astronomical Institute, RuG, The Netherlands - Dr. Hugo Buddelmeijer: here
Faculty Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science, TU Delft - Dr. Alexandru Iosup: here
- Netherlands eScience Center - Dr. Rob van Nieuwpoort: here
During the evaluation process, the proposal remains confidential. However, you may contact me (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you would like to learn more about its technical content.
- Cushing, R. S., Belloum, A. S. Z., Bubak, M. T., de Laat, C. T. A. M., & Oprescu, A. M. (2014). Exploratory Data Processing Using Non-deterministic Finite Automata. In workshop on Large Scale Distributed Virtual Environments on Clouds and P2P - LSDVE 2014 held in conjunction of Euro-Par Porto, Portugal.
- Dumitru, C., Oprescu, A-M., Živković, M., van der Mei, R., Grosso, P., & de Laat, C. (2014). A queueing theory approach to Pareto optimal bags-of-tasks scheduling on clouds. In F. Silva, I. Dutra, & V. Santos Costa (Eds.), Euro-Par 2014 Parallel Processing: 20th International Conference, Porto, Portugal, August 25-29, 2014 : proceedings (pp. 162-173). (Lecture Notes in Computer Science; Vol. 8632), (Advanced Research in Computing and Software Science). Cham: Springer. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-09873-9_14 [details]
- Makkes, M. X., Cushing, R. S., Oprescu, A. M., Koning, R., Grosso, P., Meijer, R. J., & de Laat, C. T. A. M. (2014). Smart Cyber Infrastructure for Big Data processing. In OFC 2014 IEEE. DOI: 10.1364/OFC.2014.Tu3I.3
- Oprescu, A. M., Demchenko, Y., Antonescu, A., de Laat, C. T. A. M., & Braun, T. (2013). Dynamic Optimization of SLA-Based Services Scaling Rules. In The 5th IEEE International Conference and Workshops on Cloud Computing Technology and Science (CloudCom2013), 2-5 December 2013, Bristol, UK
- Dumitru, C., Koning, R., Oprescu, A. M., Demchenko, Y., Grosso, P., & de Laat, C. T. A. M. (2014). Enabling User-Centric Data-Intensive Application Deployment in Clouds Using the Open Cloud Exchange. Paper presented at Enabling User-Centric Data-Intensive Application Deployment in Clouds Using the Open Cloud Exchange
, New Orleans, United States.
- No ancillary activities