dr. J. (Joeri) Scholtens
Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences
GPIO : Governance and Inclusive Development
Nieuwe Achtergracht 129 Amsterdam
Room number: B4.00
1001 NC Amsterdam
Dr. Joeri Scholtens is a postdoctoral researcher and lecturer at the Department of Geography, Planning and International Development Studies and at the Institute for Interdisciplinary Studies. He holds a PhD in Social Sciences from the University of Amsterdam, a MSc in Environment and Natural Resource Management from the VU University Amsterdam, and a BSc in Liberal Arts and Sciences from the University of Amsterdam. He is affiliated to the Goverance and Inclusive Development research group at the Amsterdam Institute of Social Science Research and also to the Center for Maritime Research.
My research and teaching interests converge around fisheries conflicts and governance, transboundary natural resource management, and inclusive sustainable development. For my PhD research I worked on a protracted transboundary fisheries conflicts in South Asia and on the reproduction of marginality of resource users in this conflict. For my current postdoc I work with a large consortium of universities and private parties on the contribution of fisheries to food security in West Africa and South India.
I am also engaged in thesis supervision and teaching various courses in the postgraduate programmes Human Geography and International Development Studies and in the Bachelor Programme Future Planet Studies.
- Scholtens, J. (2016). The elusive quest for access and collective action: North Sri Lankan fishers’ thwarted struggles against a foreign trawler fleet. The International Journal of the Commons, 10(2), 929-952. [details] [PDF]
- Song, A. M., Scholtens, J., Stephen, J., Bavinck, M., & Chuenpagdee, R. (2016). Transboundary research in fisheries. Marine Policy, 76, 8-18. DOI: 10.1016/j.marpol.2016.10.023 [details]
- Scholtens, J. (2015). Limits to the governability of transboundary fisheries: implications for small-scale fishers in Northern Sri Lanka and beyond. In S. Jentoft, & R. Chuenpagdee (Eds.), Interactive governance for small-scale fisheries: global reflections (pp. 515-538). (MARE publication series; No. 13). Cham: Springer. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-17034-3_27 [details] [PDF]
- Scholtens, J., & Bavinck, M. (2014). Lessons for legal pluralism: investigating the challenges of transboundary fisheries governance. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability, 11, 10-18. DOI: 10.1016/j.cosust.2014.09.017 [details]
- Barange, M., Merino, G., Blanchard, J. L., Scholtens, J., Harle, J., Allison, E. H., ... Jennings, S. (2014). Impacts of climate change on marine ecosystem production in societies dependent on fisheries. Nature Climate Change, 4(march), 211-216. DOI: 10.1038/NCLIMATE2119 [details]
- Scholtens, J., & Bavinck, M. (2013). South Indian Trawl Fisheries - Assessing Their Governability. In M. Bavinck, R. Chuenpagdee, S. Jentoft, & J. Kooiman (Eds.), Governability of fisheries and aquaculture: theory and applications (pp. 177-199). (MARE publication series; No. 7). Dordrecht: Springer. DOI: 10.1007/978-94-007-6107-0_10 [details]
- Stephen, J., Menon, A., Scholtens, J., & Bavinck, M. (2013). Transboundary dialogues and the ‘politics of scale’ in Palk Bay fisheries: brothers at sea? South Asia Research, 33(2), 141-161. DOI: 10.1177/0262728013487633 [details] [PDF]
- Sathyapalan, J., Srinivasan, J. T., & Scholtens, J. (2011). Overcapitalization in a small-scale trawler fishery: a study of Palk Bay, India. In R. Dr. Chuenpagdee (Ed.), World small-scale fisheries: contemporary visions. (pp. 51-61). Delft: Eburon Academic Publishers. [details]
- Amarasinghe, O., Kadirgamar, A., Scholtens, J., & Kadirgamar, N. (2016). Briefing Paper: Towards a Solution of the Palk Bay Fishing Conflict. Unknown Publisher. [details]
- Scholtens, J. (Author), & Eggens, L. (Author). (2016). Sri Lakanen vissen achter het net. OneWorld. [details]
- Scholtens, J. (Author), & Kadirgamar, A. (Author). (2014). Lankan fishers crushed by global powers. Sri Lanka: Sunday Times. [details]
- Scholtens, J. (Author), & Kadirgamar, A. (Author). (2014). No Country for Small Fishers. India: The Hindu. [details]
- Scholtens, J., & Kadirgamar, A. (2014). No country for small fishers. The Hindu.. [details]
- No ancillary activities