Biological Sciences: Ecology and Evolution (track)
Ecology and Evolution at the UvA is the study for you, if you
- have a solid background in biology
- are eager to expand your knowledge and skills in the area of ecology and evolution
- want to learn to address issues of global interest
- are looking for the freedom to compile your own programme
- want the advantages of a small-scale programme, where students and staff all know each other and you have the opportunity to become part of the national and international research network of the staff.
What does Ecology and Evolution at the UvA have to offer me?
The Master’s track Ecology and Evolution builds on the internationally renowned research of the Institute of Biodiversity and Ecosystem Dynamics (IBED). Teaching and learning activities are firmly integrated with the current research. Track-specific research can be fundamental (e.g. speciation, soil-plant-insect interactions, community dynamics, long-term (paleo) ecology) or applied (e.g. pest control, nature conservation, bird migration, ecosystem services).
The following research areas are offered at the University of Amsterdam
- Evolutionary Biology
- Experimental Plant Systematics
- Population Biology
- Computational Geo-Ecology
- Paleoecology and Landscape Ecology
- Theoretical Ecology
Course teaching in this track is shared with the MSc Ecology of the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU). Therefore, as a Biological Sciences student you benefit from the expertise, networks and research projects at both universities.
Webinar Biological Sciences
In this recorded webinar of November 2016, programme director Joost Duivenvoorden and two Master's students inform you about the ins en outs of this two-year Master's Programme.
Become part of the world-wide research network in Ecology and Evolution
Master’s students in Ecology and Evolution have many internship options at prestigious affiliated institutes in Amsterdam, the Netherlands and abroad, such as
- Degree programme
- MSc Biological Sciences
- Regular study programme
- 120 ECTS, 24 months
- Language of instruction
- Starts in
- CROHO code