What can you expect from Earth Sciences:
An inspiring scientific environment where scientist work in a stimulating interdisciplinary setting on the cutting edge between physical geography, ecology, hydrology and environmental chemistry, combined in the Institute for Biodiversity and Ecosystem Dynamics (IBED)
IBED offers you a wide range of brand new and state of the art facilities (E-science labs including GIS, Remote sensing and geo-ecological modelling, Soil- and environmental chemistry as well erosion labs) to enable you to let your work meet the latest scientific standards.
The Master programme Earth Sciences consists of three different study tracks.
The track 'Environmental Management' concentrates on interdisciplinary training how to manage the geo-ecosystems of our planet.
Future Planet Ecosystem Science
The interdisciplinary track 'Future Planet Ecosystem Science' allows you to face the grand challenges within human-ecosphere interactions on our Future Planet. Starts in academic year 2017 - 2018
The track 'Geo-ecological Dynamics' focuses on in depth scientific training.
Why study Earth Sciences?
- You have an inquisitive mind and like the challenge to find solutions for the complex environmental issues that are facing our changing planet.
- You wish to acquire in-depth insight on the functioning of environmental processes affecting our planet, and use this to challenge existing knowledge and contribute to practical solutions and applications.
- You are eager to combine scientific interest in earth sciences with related fields in ecology, hydrology, environmental chemistry and human impact studies to understand their complex interaction, which is required to address the global, regional and local processes.
- You have a quantitative attitude, and are eager to learn, use and apply state of the art analytical methods which can include and combine e-science based techniques, advanced laboratory techniques and field measurement techniques.
- You want to become part of inspiring research projects, in both national and international settings.
Societal and Business trajectories
In general, Master’s students are trained to become independent researchers. But at the UvA Faculty of Science you can also choose to complete your Master’s programme with a societal or business trajectory that focuses on other skills than doing research. There are several professional majors and minors available.
- MSc Earth Sciences
- Regulier onderwijs
- 120 EC, 24 maanden
- Februari, september