Research master Literary Studies (research)
In this Research Master’s programme, literature is studied as a transnational and interdisciplinary phenomenon that offers in-depth insight into a wide range of cultural practices.
The programme is rooted in a literary studies research practice and the tools offered by this field. It explores the cultural relevance of metaphors, symbols, aesthetic experience, narrative and the framing of ideas. You will study how these tools produce new connections between different literatures, media, and discourses of an academic, artistic, political, or journalistic nature. It also offers the opportunity to specialise in specific literatures, such as Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Scandinavian, Slavonic or Spanish.
The Amsterdam programme in Literary Studies distinguishes itself through its thorough grounding in the research practice and analytical toolkit of Literary Studies, deployed in an interdisciplinary perspective on the literary and other text-based media. It focuses on text and literature from a contemporary perspective and is concerned with the worldliness and interdisciplinary orientation of texts.
Why study Literary Studies at the University of Amsterdam?
- Situated in the city of Amsterdam, the programme draws inspiration from the lively literary culture in this transnational urban hub.
- The Amsterdam programme in Literary Studies allows you to specialise in the study of literature, both from an interdisciplinary perspective, and from the perspective of a specific literature.
- The programme draws from the UvA's strong interdisciplinary tradition in literary studies, area studies and cultural studies. Partner research schools include: the Research School for Literary Studies, the Amsterdam School for Cultural Analysis and the Amsterdam School for Heritage, Memory and Material Culture.
- Specialisations include: Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Latin, Spanish, Scandinavian and Slavonic literatures, all studied in an intercultural context.
- This is the only Research Master’s worldwide that offers a specialisation in modern Dutch literature in relation to other literatures, media and discourses.
- Research MA Literary Studies (research)
- Regulier onderwijs
- 120 EC, 24 maanden