mw. dr. K. (Katjana) Gattermann
Faculteit der Maatschappij- en Gedragswetenschappen
Programmagroep: Political Communication & Journalism
Nieuwe Achtergracht 166 Kamernummer: C8.00
1001 NG Amsterdam
Katjana Gattermann is assistant professor at the Amsterdam School of Communication Research (ASCoR) within the Program Group ‘Political Communication and Journalism’. Her research interests comprise political communication and journalism, political behaviour, public opinion and legislative behaviour in the European Union. Her work feeds into debates about the legitimacy and accountability of politics within and across the EU. She is currently leading a VENI research project entitled ‘Facing Europe: The personalization of European Union politics in news coverage and its consequences for democracy’, which is funded by the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO). As part of the project, she is also preparing a book manuscript, which is under contract with Oxford University Press.
Katjana is also affiliated with the Amsterdam Centre for Contemporary European Studies (ACCESS EUROPE) and the Center for Politics and Communication (CPC). She was previously postdoctoral researcher for ACCESS EUROPE; and before that postdoc at the Jean Monnet Chair of Prof Wolfgang Wessels, Political Science Department, University of Cologne, where she was member of the former internationally collaborative research project ‘Observatory of Parliaments after Lisbon’ (OPAL). Furthermore, Katjana was founding director of the Erasmus Academic Network on Parliamentary Democracy in Europe (PADEMIA), which brought together 56 research and teaching institutes from all over Europe between 2013 and 2016. In addition, she is member of the advisory board of the LSE ‘Europe in Question’ Discussion Paper Series (LEQS), published by the LSE European Institute.
Find more information here: https://katjanagattermann.wordpress.com/.
Gattermann, K. & de Vreese, C.H. (2017). The role of candidate evaluations in the 2014 European Parliament elections: Towards the personalization of voting behaviour?, European Union Politics, DOI: 10.1177/1465116517704519
Gattermann, K., de Vreese, C.H. and van der Brug, W. (2016). Evaluations of the Spitzenkandidaten: The Role of Information and News Exposure in Citizens’ Preference Formation, Politics and Governance, 4(1), 37-54 [Open Access]
Gattermann, K. & Vasilopoulou, S. (2015). Absent yet popular? Explaining news visibility of Members of the European Parliament. European Journal of Political Research, 54 (1), 121-140 (2013 ISI IMPACT FACTOR: 2.152)
Gattermann, K. (2013). News about the European Parliament: Patterns and external drivers of broadsheet coverage. European Union Politics, 14 (3), 436-457 (2013 ISI IMPACT FACTOR: 2.036)
Vasilopoulou, S. & Gattermann, K. (2013). Matching policy preferences: the linkage between voters and MEPs. Journal of European Public Policy, 20 (4), 606-605 (2013 ISI IMPACT FACTOR: 1.36)
Key blog posts
Gattermann, K. and Vasilopoulou, S. (2015). Newspapers care more about who our MEPs are than about what they do in the European Parliament, PSA Blog. 3 March 2015 http://www.psa.ac.uk/insight-plus/blog/newspapers-care-more-about-who-our-meps-are-about-what-they-do-european-parliament
Gattermann, K. (2013). European broadsheets pay regular attention to the European Parliament between EU elections, LSE European Politics and Policy Blog (EUROPP). 30 May 2013 http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/2013/05/30/european-parliament-news-coverage/
- Gattermann, K., & De Vreese, C. H. (2017). The role of candidate evaluations in the 2014 European Parliament elections: Towards the personalization of voting behaviour? European Union Politics, 18(3), 447-468. DOI: 10.1177/1465116517704519 [details]
- Gattermann, K., & Vasilopoulou, S. (2017). Eurosceptic candidate MEPs in the news: a transnational perspective. In J. FitzGibbon, B. Leruth, & N. Startin (Eds.), Euroscepticism as a transnational and pan-European phenomenon: The emergence of a new sphere of opposition (pp. 130-146). (Routledge/UACES contemporary European studies; No. 35). London: Routledge. [details]
- Gattermann, K., Högenauer, A-L., & Huff, A. (2016). Research note: Studying a new phase of Europeanisation of national parliaments. European Political Science, 15(1), 89-107.
- Gattermann, K., de Vreese, C. H., & van der Brug, W. (2016). Evaluations of the Spitzenkandidaten: the role of information and news exposure in citizens’ preference formation. Politics and Governance, 4(1), 37-54. DOI: 10.17645/pag.v4i1.460 [details]
- van der Brug, W., Gattermann, K., & de Vreese, C. H. (2016). Introduction: how different were the European elections of 2014? Politics and Governance, 4(1), 1-8. DOI: 10.17645/pag.v4i1.591 [details]
- Gattermann, K. (2015). Europäische Spitzenkandidaten und deren (Un-)Sichtbarkeit in der nationalen Zeitungsberichterstattung. In M. Kaeding, & N. Switek (Eds.), Die Europawahl 2014: Spitzenkandidaten, Protestparteien, Nichtwähler (pp. 211-222). Wiesbaden: Springer VS. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-658-05738-1_18 [details]
- Gattermann, K., & Hefftler, C. (2015). Beyond institutional capacity: political motivation and parliamentary behaviour in the early warning system. West European Politics, 38(2), 305-334. DOI: 10.1080/01402382.2014.990696 [details]
- Gattermann, K., & Vasilopoulou, S. (2015). Absent yet popular? Explaining news visibility of Members of the European Parliament. European Journal of Political Research, 54(1), 121-140. DOI: 10.1111/1475-6765.12071 [details]
- Hefftler, C., & Gattermann, K. (2015). Interparliamentary cooperation in the European Union: patterns, problems and potential. In C. Hefftler, C. Neuhold, O. Rozenberg, & J. Smith (Eds.), The Palgrave handbook of national parliaments and the European Union (pp. 94-115). Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan. DOI: 10.1007/978-1-137-28913-1_4 [details]
- Gattermann, K. (2013). News about the European Parliament: Patterns and external drivers of broadsheet coverage. European Union Politics, 14(3), 436-457. DOI: 10.1177/1465116513476146
- Vasilopoulou, S., & Gattermann, K. (2013). Matching policy preferences: the linkage between voters and MEPs. Journal of European Public Policy, 20(4), 606-605. DOI: 10.1080/13501763.2012.718892
- Gattermann, K. (Author). (2017). Europa in de media: Afhankelijk van nationale ontwikkelingen (Blog). Web publication/site, Montesquieu Instituut.
- Geen nevenwerkzaamheden