mw. dr. B. (Barbara) Nevicka
Faculteit der Maatschappij- en Gedragswetenschappen
Programmagroep: Work and Organizational Psychology
Nieuwe Achtergracht 129 Amsterdam
1001 NK Amsterdam
- PhD (cum laude) in Organizational Psychology (Nov-2011) - University of Amsterdam
- Graduate Diploma of Philosophy (2003) - Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia
- Master of Accounting (cum laude) (2001) - Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia
- Bachelor of Accounting (2000) - Macquarie University, Sydney Australia
My main research area is on narcissism in social contexts in general, with a focus on leadership. I examine the reasons for emergence of narcissists as leaders (e.g., under contextual uncertainty) and their consequences on their followers, groups and organizations. Moreover, I focus on narcissists’ functioning (e.g., reactions to ego-threats) in social contexts, also outside of the workplace. I conduct research using experimental designs on the individual and group level, and field studies using multiple raters (e.g., leaders and followers) as well as organizational outcomes.
Nevicka, B., Baas, M., & Ten Velden, F. S. (2016). The bright side of threatened narcissism: Improved performance following ego-threat, Journal of Personality, 84, 809-823.
Tummers, L, Steijn, B., Nevicka, B., & Heerma, M. (in press). The effects of leadership and job autonomy on vitality: survey and experimental evidence, Review of Public Personnel Administration.
De Hoogh, A. H. B., Den Hartog, D. N., & Nevicka, B. (2015). Gender differences in the perceived effectiveness of narcissistic leaders. Applied Psychology: An International Review, 64, 370-380.
Baas, M., Nevicka, B., & Ten Velden, F. S. (2014). Specific mindfulness skills differentially predict creative performance, Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 40, 1092-1106.
Nevicka, B., De Hoogh, A. H. B., Van Vianen, A. E. M., & Ten Velden, F. S. (2013). Uncertainty enhances the preference for narcissistic leaders. European Journal of Social Psychology, 43, 370-380.
Nevicka, B., De Hoogh, A. H. B., Van Vianen, A. E. M., Beersma, B., & McIlwain, D. (2011). All I need is a stage to shine: Narcissists' leader emergence and performance. Leadership Quarterly, 22, 910-925.
Nevicka, B., Ten Velden, F. S., De Hoogh, A. H. B., & Van Vianen, A. E. M. (2011). Reality at odds with perceptions: Narcissistic leaders and group performance. Psychological Science , 22, 1259-1264.
Emsley, D. A. R., Nevicka, B., & Harrison, G. (2006). Effect of cognitive style and professional development on the initiation of radical and non-radical management accounting innovations. Accounting & Finance, 46, 243-264.
- Nevicka, B., de Hoogh, A. H. B., van Vianen, A. E. M., & Beersma, B. (2011). All I need is a stage to shine: narcissist’s leader emergence and performance. The Leadership Quarterly, 22(5), 910-925. DOI: 10.1016/j.leaqua.2011.07.011 [details]
- Nevicka, B., ten Velden, F. S., de Hoogh, A. H. B., & van Vianen, A. E. M. (2011). Reality at odds with perceptions: narcissistic leaders and group performance. Psychological Science, 22(10), 1259-1264. DOI: 10.1177/0956797611417259 [details]
- Nevicka, B. (2011). Narcissistic leaders: the appearance of success [details / files]
- Nevicka, B. (2013): OB Outstanding Reviewer. Academy of Management Conference..
- Nevicka, B. (organiser) (9-7-2014 - 12-7-2014): Symposium conducted at the Association of Social Psychology (EASP) conference, Amsterdam, The Netherlands (organising a conference, workshop, ...).
- Nevicka, B. (invited speaker) (23-5-2014): Threatening the ego of a narcissist: To aggress or to impress? - at a theme session entitled "Thinking, feeling, and acting in a threatening environment"., Kurt Lewin Institute (KLI) conference, Zeist, The Netherlands., Zeist.
- Nevicka, B. (invited speaker) (25-3-2014): Narcissistic Leadership, Studium Generale, University of Groningen, Netherlands., Groningen.
- Nevicka, B. (invited speaker) (27-11-2014): Narcissistic Leadership, Invited presentation for Leiderschap in Transitie conference, Groningen, Netherlands., Groningen.
- Geen nevenwerkzaamheden
- Geen nevenwerkzaamheden