Sign Language Linguistics (Linguistics)
In the Bachelor’s in Sign Language Linguistics, you will explore sign languages, their structure, acquisition and use from the perspective of a linguist, while learning at least one sign language yourself.
The world of Sign Language
Sign languages from all around the world demonstrate interesting similarities, but they are not mutually intelligible and differ from each other in significant ways. Interestingly, many of these differences reflect variation also attested in spoken languages. The acquisition of sign languages also shows interesting similarities and differences with the acquisition of spoken languages. The Bachelor's in Sign Language Linguistics teaches you general linguistic principles and methods and offers you a wide range of courses in sign languages that address these fascinating topics.
Is Sign Language Linguistics right for you?
Sign Language Linguistics is the ideal programme for you if:
- You are broadly interested in language and sign language specifically.
- You enjoy solving puzzles and problems that require a systematic approach.
- You want to understand how sign languages resemble or differ from spoken languages as well as each other.
- You’d like to learn a sign language yourself.
- You would like to know how sign languages are acquired, and how they function in society.
Why study Sign Language Linguistics at the UvA?
Sign Language Linguistics at the University of Amsterdam offers you:
- The unique opportunity to study sign language linguistics: the University of Amsterdam is one of the few universities in the world to offer a fully-fledged programme with a focus on the structure, acquisition, and use of visual-gestural languages.
- A world-class education: the Linguistics programme ranks the highest in Continental Europe and 17th overall in the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2017.
- A chance to learn and study Sign Language of the Netherlands (NGT). If you have acquired another sign language elsewhere, you can bring your knowledge of it into the programme.
- A broad programme: Sign Language Linguistics programme is a track of the Linguistics programme, which is a very broad programme that familiarises you with all subfield of linguistics.
- Amsterdam has a thriving community of signers of NGT with many social activities.
- After completing your Bachelor's, you can apply to one of the UvA's many Master's programmes.
Sign Language Linguistics is an accredited degree programme in Linguistics. After completion of this programme, you will receive a legally accredited Bachelor's degree and the title Bachelor of Arts (BA).
Want to know more?
Reread all of the information at your own convenience in our brochure and join us at one of our Bachelor's open days.
- Degree programme
- BA Linguistics
- 180 ECTS, 36 months
- Language of instruction
- Starts in
- CROHO code