Application and admission
Amsterdam Exchange Programme in Law
On this page:
All incoming exchange students in the framework of the exchange programmes in the field of law, as well as free movers (fee paying), are placed in the Amsterdam Exchange Programme in Law.
- Having completed at least two years of law school. This means that for students who study a double degree, only their years of legal studies will be taken into consideration.
- Students who wish to participate in a course in the field of European or International Law are required to have completed an introduction course in that field of law at their home university.
For students who have not yet completed such a course, the Amsterdam Law School offers two introduction courses: Introduction to European Union Law and Introduction to International Law.
- One of the following English language tests:TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) -
- The minimum required TOEFL score is 100 iBT, with a minimum score of 25 for reading and listening skills and 24 for speaking and writing skills.
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System) - The minimum required overall IELTS score is 7.0, with a minimum score of 6.0 of each single component.
- A Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) certificate (minimum grade C) or Cambridge English: Proficiency (CPE) certificate.
Exchange students are required to submit their application for before either 1 November (spring semester) or 1 May (fall semester), depending on the semester chosen. Applicants need to enclose a university transcript (list of completed courses, grades and ECTS credits) with the application form as well as proof of their English proficiency.
It is preferable to have the home university send the transcript. When the applicant is not a student from one of our partner universities, he or she must enclose one letter of reference by a qualified person, preferably academic staff.
Free movers (fee paying students)
Exchange students from our partner universities do not have to pay a tuition fee to the University of Amsterdam. They pay their regular fees to their home university.
Students from all other universities (free movers) pay a tuition fee of 6,000 per semester. The tuition fee covers tuition, orientation and transcript processing. You will need approximately another €400 per semester for study materials.
How to pay your tuition fee
The fee should be transferred to the following account:
Account no. 22.214.171.1242
IBAN no: NL69DEUT0509095402
University of Amsterdam/Faculty of Law
1012 WX Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Indicating: Tuition fee Exchange Programme in Law, WBS C 2110.0010
The tuition fee should be paid before the start of classes in the relevant semester. Please note that students cannot be accepted into the programme if their payment has not been received by then.
Send us a copy of your payment
Please check the bank transfer and send a copy of the transfer form as proof of payment to the International Office of the Amsterdam Law School. If you make cash payments, please make sure to keep your receipt and hand in a copy to the International Office.