Master's Medical Informatics
The MSc in Medical Informatics aims to be the gateway for ambitious students with an entrepreneurial, global mindset to a career at the interface of healthcare and ICT. They will gain a deep understanding of healthcare processes and ICT technologies and challenged to solve real-life cases from our clinical and corporate health ICT partners. This all takes place at a vibrant academic hospital: the Academic Medical Center in Amsterdam.
UvA Master in Medical Informatics ranked to top programs worldwide
We are proud that our MSc program has been accredited as being of ‘good quality’ by the International Medical Informatics Association. Out of all the MSc Medical Informatics programs in the world, the program offered by the Academic Medical Center-UvA of Amsterdam has come out on top. The ranking is based on the results of the accreditation by the world’s leading International Medical Informatics Association.
Monique Jaspers, program director: "We are very proud of this result. Over the past few years we have focused on further increasing quality: we introduced new courses on health data science and eHealth, and we expanded our unique collaboration with the health ICT research and business communities. Due to our close ties with these communities we are well aware of the skills students need. We introduced practical input by inviting managers from leading Health ICT firms and this is combined with high-quality academic education given by top-level (guest) lecturers and researchers. This combination is highly appreciated by students as well as the Health ICT business community. Most of our students are offered work before they have graduated and received their degree."
How should healthcare organizations react to the healthcare challenges posed by population ageing, and the accompanying rise in costs? What opportunities do new technologies bring to tackle these issues? Why are some healthcare organizations successful with implementation of these technologies while others are not? What new horizons for health through mobile technologies can be expected? How will the big data revolution set healthcare on a path of rapid change and new discoveries?
To understand the challenges that healthcare is facing today, insights from many different disciplines are needed. That is why the Master's in Medical Informatics is offering a wide range of courses with topics such as data science, healthcare organization, logistics, human factors engineering, artificial intelligence, eHealth, software architecture, business and sociotechnical modeling, and strategic information management.
Our program provides you with the ability to:
- prepare for your career with real-world case studies and top-level guest lecturers;
- benefit from the interplay of the strong practical and research focus, qualified staff and fellow students with different international backgrounds;
- customize the program in the second year by choosing from a selection of more than 16 elective courses.
Rankings and reputation of UvA and the Master Medical Informatics
- 51-60th in world and 1st in the Netherlands (Times Higher Education rankings 2017);
- 58th in world and 2nd in the Netherlands (QS World University Rankings 2018);
- Member of LERU (League of European Research Universities), an exclusive network of renowned research universities;
- Member of Universitas 21, a network of 27 leading research-intensive universities in 17 countries;
- The MSc Medical Informatics holds the prestigious IMIA accreditation (International Medical Informatics Association);
- The MSc Medical Informatics holds the accredited status of the Dutch Flemish Accreditation Organ (NVAO accredited).
- Degree programme
- Regular study programme
- 120 ECTS, 24 months
- Language of instruction
- Starts in
- February, September
- CROHO code