Physics and Astronomy: Advanced Matter and Energy Physics (track)
The two-year track Advanced Matter and Energy Physics in the Master’s programme Physics and Astronomy, a joint degree with the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, is among the best experimental physics programmes in the world. It offers you challenging courses and research opportunities in hot topics in laboratories around the world and prepares you for an exciting career in research.
Is Advanced Matter and Energy Physics in Amsterdam the track for me?
If you enjoy the challenge of fundamental experimental research and always keep an eye open for possible applications of your results, Advanced Matter and Energy Physics might be the track for you. Furthermore, you:
- Have a well-founded knowledge of quantum mechanics, statistical physics and electrodynamics (at bachelor's level) - knowledge of condensed matter physics is an advantage
- Would like to work in a leading research laboratory in the Netherlands or abroad - or work on a project in an industrial research setting
- Enjoy working in a team while being the driving force and hands-on 'principle investigator' of your own experiments
- Like to get to the bottom of things, are not afraid of complexity and have a well-developed understanding of the art of doing (experimental) science
- Can quickly absorb and integrate novel concepts
What does Advanced Matter and Energy Physics at the UvA have to offer me?
Experimental physics in Amsterdam is among the best in the world. This two-year track offers challenging courses and research opportunities focused on current trends in the field. For example, you can participate in research projects on:
- Next generation energy materials and processes (such as nanocrystals, nanowires and nanophotonic systems for tomorrow's solar energy conversion)
- Complex condensed matter systems (with properties like unconventional superconductivity)
- Complex liquids, granular, soft and biomatter (with properties like jamming and self-organisation)
- New forms of ultracold atomic quantum matter (with properties like strong correlations and entanglement)
- Precision measurements on (cold) atoms and molecules, to test fundamental physics theories
- 2D metallic states at the surface of 3D topological insulators, and the phenomena these states can be used to explore (such as Majorana fermions and magnetic monopoles)
- State-of-the-art lasers
Joint degree programme with VU Amsterdam
Advanced Matter and Energy Physics is a track in the Master's programme Physics and Astronomy, a joint degree programme of the University of Amsterdam and Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam. Courses are taught at locations of both universities. UvA and VU jointly issue a degree certificate in Physics and Astronomy to graduates. As a Physics and Astronomy student in Amsterdam you benefit from expertise, networks and research projects at both universities and affiliated research institutes.
- MSc Physics and Astronomy
- Regulier onderwijs
- 120 EC, 24 maanden