dhr. dr. M.H. (Marcel) van Egmond
Faculteit der Maatschappij- en Gedragswetenschappen
Programmagroep: Political Communication & Journalism
Nieuwe Achtergracht 166 Amsterdam
1001 NG Amsterdam
Senior Lecturer Research Methods
I am a Senior Lecturer in Research Methods at the Department of Communication Science, and a member of ASCoR at the University of Amsterdam. I teach in the fields of research methods and statistics as well as survey research.
I hold a PhD in Political Science from the University of Amsterdam. My research interests include comparative electoral behaviour, the influence of media on political behaviour, social science research methods including methods of data collection, especially survey methods.
I was responsible for the coordination of the 2009 European Election Voter Study (www.piredeu.eu) while based at the Department of Political Science, University of Amsterdam.
I am a Board Member of the European Election Studies Association, as well as a former British Election Studies Fellow.
I worked as a Postdoctoral Fellow at the University of Queensland Social Research Centre (now: ISSR) in Brisbane, Australia for three years, and as Researcher Coordinator for a commercial research firm focusing on media research . As a PhD student, I also spent time at the University of North Texas and at Trinity College, Dublin.
into Party Support? Media Influence on Partisan Attitudes during the 2005 UK
General Election Campaign
H Brandenburg, M van Egmond. British Journal of Political Science 42 (02), 441-463
and contextual variation in EU issue voting: The role of political
CE de Vries, W van der Brug, MH van Egmond, C van der Eijk. Electoral Studies 30 (1), 16-28
Parliament Election Study 2009, Voter Study.
Egmond, Marcel van; Brug, Wouter van der; Hobolt, Sara; Franklin, Mark; Sapir, Eliyahu V. (2013): GESIS Data Archive, Cologne. ZA5055 Data file Version 1.1.0, doi:10.4232/1.11760
for redistribution and the paradox of immigration
B Burgoon, F Koster, M van Egmond. Journal of European Social Policy 22 (3), 288-304
effects of low turnout in national and European elections
C van der Eijk, M van Egmond. Electoral Studies 26 (3), 561-573
- Brandenburg, H., & van Egmond, M. (2012). Pressed into party support? Media influence on partisan attitudes during the 2005 UK general election campaign. British Journal of Political Science, 42(2), 441-463. DOI: 10.1017/S0007123411000445 [details]
- Burgoon, B., Koster, F., & van Egmond, M. (2012). Support for redistribution and the paradox of immigration. Journal of European Social Policy, 22(3), 288-304. DOI: 10.1177/0958928712440198 [details]
- van der Eijk, C., & van Egmond, M. (2007). Political effects of low turnout in national and European elections. Electoral Studies, 26, 561-573. DOI: 10.1016/j.electstud.2006.10.003 [details]
- Western, M., Baxter, J., Pakulski, J., Tranter, B., Western, J., van Egmond, M. H., ... van Gellecum, Y. (2007). Neoliberalism, Inequality and Politics: The Changing Face of Australia. Australian Journal of Social Issues, 42(3), 401-418.
- Jadot, A., & van Egmond, M. H. (2002). Reconcilier I'individuel et le contextuel? Línteret de la methode multiniveaux en recherche electorale. Revue de la Maison Francaise dÓxford, 1(1). [details]
- van Egmond, M. H., de Graaf, N. D., & van der Eijk, C. (1998). Electoral participation in the Netherlands: Individual and contextual influences. European Journal of Political Research, 34, 281-300. DOI: 10.1023/A:1006957831463
- van Egmond, M. H. (2007). European Elections as Counterfactual National Elections. In W. van der Brug, & C. van der Eijk (Eds.), European Elections and Domestic Politics. (pp. 32-50). Notre Dame: University of Notre Dame Press.
- van Egmond, M. H., Brandenburg, H., Johns, R., Lühiste, M., Selb, P., & Sudulich, M. L. (2015). Keeping the old game alive: Using survey methods to improve big data measures of public mood. Abstract from The Empiricist's Challenge, .
- Johns, R., van Egmond, M. H., & Brandenburg, H. (2015). Close friends or distant relatives? Distance to party and satisfaction with democracy at national and EU levels. Abstract from meeting of the Association Francaise de Science Politique, Aix-en-Provence, France, .
- Brandenburg, H., van Egmond, M. H., & Johns, R. (2014). It’s just nice to know there’s someone close at hand: Representational distance and satisfaction with democracy in Europe. Abstract from general conference of the European Consortium for Political Research, Glasgow, UK, .
- van Egmond, M. H., Johns, R., & Brandenburg, H. (2014). A fair share of the representational pie? How distance and disproportionality affect satisfaction with democracy in Europe.
- van Egmond, M. H., & Brandenburg, H. (2013). Chasing a fugitive impact: Analysing the role of media in electoral competition.
- Johns, R., Brandenburg, H., & van Egmond, M. H. (2013). "It’s nice to know that you’re close at hand": Representational distances and satisfaction with democracy across Europe.
- van Egmond, M. H., & van der Eijk, C. (2011). Contestation of EU integration - Close encounters of the third kind?. Abstract from Paper presented at the European Consortium for Political Research General Conference in Reykjavik, Iceland, .
- van Egmond, M. H., van der Eijk, C., & Sapir, E. (2011). Dissonant or consonant? Contestation over EU integration as political context.. Abstract from Paper presented at the Elections, Public Opinion and Parties conference in Exeter, UK, .
- van Egmond, M.H. (2012): ASCoR Baschwitz Faculty Article of the Year Award. This award is given for the best article published by an ASCoR staff member in a peer-reviewed journal. Brandenburg, H., & Van Egmond, M. (2012). Pressed into party support? Media influence on partisan attitudes during the 2005 UK general election campaign. British Journal of Political Science, 42, 441-463..
- van Egmond, M.H. (speaker) (2002): Not equal to all: How the electoral context affects different voters differently. Close elections and electoral participation as a case in point, Paper presented at the 30th ECPR Joint Sessions of Workshops, Università di Torino.
- van Egmond, M.H. (organiser) (30-6-2015 - 3-7-2015): Session organisor: At a workshop of the European Consortium for Political Research, Nijmegen, Netherlands (organising a conference, workshop, ...).
- van Egmond, M. H. (2003). Rain falls on all of us (but some manage to get more wet than others) : political context and electoral participation [details]
- Geen nevenwerkzaamheden