In the Bachelor’s in European Studies you study contemporary Europe in all of its historical and cultural diversity. The programme provides you with the knowledge and skills necessary to engage Europe’s complex present and future.
What is European Studies?
Europe: The bigger picture
Europe is a continent with a long and turbulent history of cultural, political and economic exchange. The Bachelor’s in European Studies provides you with an overview of the politics, economics and law of the European Union (EU), while also introducing you to Europe’s history, literature and culture.
Taught in English, the programme offers a broad perspective crucial to making sense of the challenges facing Europe today. It equips you with the knowledge and skills to address contemporary European issues such as the Eurozone crisis, the questions posed by multicultural societies, and the role of the EU in, for instance, its relations with Ukraine and Russia.
Is European Studies right for you?
European Studies is the ideal programme for you if:
- You are interested in the history, culture, politics, economics and law of contemporary Europe.
- You would like to pursue a career at a European institution, your national government, international (non) governmental organisations or in international business.
- You want to learn and be able to communicate in a new European language.
Why study European Studies at the UvA?
European Studies at the University of Amsterdam offers you:
- A broad programme: Study the politics, law, and economics of the European Union, and the historical, cultural and literary roots of today’s Europe.
- A choice of five focused majors: Specialise in European Literature and Culture, European History, East European Studies, European Law, and European Economics.
- The opportunity to master a foreign language: You can choose one of sixteen European languages.
- An international programme in both its outlook and staff.
- The opportunity to study in the historical centre of Amsterdam, a European hub with a rich historical and cultural heritage.
- After completing your Bachelor's, you can apply to one of the UvA's many Master's programmes.
Rankings and reputation
The University of Amsterdam offers a world-class education in the Arts and Humanities:
- UvA is ranked 32nd for the Arts and Humanities in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2017.
- UvA is ranked 53rd in the world for the Arts and Humanities in the QS World University Rankings 2017.
- UvA is a member of the League of European Research Universities (LERU), an exclusive network of renowned research universities.
- UvA is a member of Universitas 21, a network of leading 21st century research-intensive universities in 13 countries.
Want to know more?
Reread all of the information at your own convenience in our brochure and join us at one of our Bachelor's open days.
European Studies is an accredited degree programme. After completion of this programme, you will receive a legally accredited Bachelor's degree and the title Bachelor of Arts (BA).
- BA European Studies
- 180 EC, 36 maanden