In the Bachelor’s in Political Science, you study the urgent issues that the world faces, including migration and economic crises, terrorist threats, rising populism and xenophobia, and polarisation in society. At the same time, you also explore possible solutions.
Politics is how communities settle their differences and achieve their goals. As a result, politics is everywhere and at all levels from the local to the global. The programme offers a broad orientation in International Relations, Political Economy, Public Policy and Governance, Comparative Politics and Political Theory. In the third year, you can specialise by choosing courses on International Organisations, Security, Conflict, Islam and Globalisation, and The Rise of Populism in the United States and Europe, or by focusing on regions such as Latin America and Asia. Because you can choose courses for 30 ECTS credits in your programme, you can enrol in a minor such as Conflict Studies, Gender and Sexuality, and Middle Eastern Studies. However, you can also earn these 30 credits by studying abroad or learning a foreign language at the UvA or another Dutch university.
Why study Political Science at the University of Amsterdam?
Studying politics is not just about what politicians do – it helps you understand why the world is as it is and how it might be improved. A Bachelor of Science in Political Science offers you a solid intellectual and practical insight into this dynamic world, its challenges and its opportunities. It provides education for the informed, independent, analytical and critical thinkers and ‘doers’ that the world needs. We offer a genuinely coherent and integrated curriculum, which combines a broad disciplinary grounding in political science in all its diversity with flexibility in your choice of subfield specialisation.
We offer subfield specialisations in:
- International Relations
- Comparative Politics
- Public Policy and Governance
- Political Theory
To meet further individual interests while maintaining a coherent programme, we also offer cross-disciplinary minor packages including:
- Gender and Sexuality
- Conflict Studies
- European Politics and Global Change
- Middle Eastern Studies
- International Development Studies
- Global Migration
You can also enrol in a minor offered by another faculty. Political Science students might be interested in a language minor or programmes in history, law and economics. For a complete list of UvA minors, you can have a look at the overview.
Other reasons to study Political Science at the UvA
- an inspiring international learning environment, in which you are taught by top research-active staff;
- the highest-ranked Dutch university in the QS World University Rankings® 2016; Political Science ranks 33rd globally. Our campus is situated in the heart of vibrant Amsterdam, a historic city and gateway to the world;
- your fellow students are ambitious, talented and diverse in terms of backgrounds and interests. The most ambitious among you may opt for our Honours and/or talent programmes;
- small-group teaching and personal attention;
- a good preparation for admission to top graduate schools the world over;
- the academic, research and practical skills that we teach prepare you for leadership positions in trade and industry, consultancy, journalism, public policy and politics, diplomacy, international organisations and NGOs, as well as for careers in research and teaching;
- our sound training in social science research methods will enable you to qualify for a broad range of Master’s programmes.
Language of instruction
The programme is taught in English, supplemented by Dutch-language tutorial groups/written assignments and electives for those who so wish. Extra training in both Dutch and English language/writing skills is on offer.
- BSc Political Science
- 180 EC, 36 maanden