Political Science UvA encompasses innovative research and teaching programmes in comparative politics, international relations, European politics, political theory, political economy, and public policy, as well as cross-cutting themes including migration, conflict, democracy and its alternatives, gender and diversity, and transnational politics.
Our scholars disseminate research findings that respond to the most pressing and daunting political challenges of our time. We are committed to fulfilling what we consider to be our dual obligation to engage with society at large and with the specific stakeholders for whom our research is of particular importance, locally, nationally and internationally.
The political science department at the University of Amsterdam was recently assessed on the quality of their research by an international committee and received a maximum score of 'excellent' on all three criteria: research quality, societal relevance, and viability!
Political Science Research is organised into three Programme Groups, which are members of the Amsterdam Institute for Social Science Research (AISSR):
- The programme group Challenges to Democratic Representation addresses the conditions under which basic safeguards to democracy such as accountability, representation and legitimacy flourish or come under threat.
- The programme group Political Economy and Transnational Governance (PETGOV) explores the ongoing transformation of political and economic governance within and beyond nation-states.
The programme group Transnational Configurations, Conflict and Governance critically examines the politics of transnational processes in which a multitude of actors are involved.
For questions about a PhD programme, you can contact the research institute: email@example.com. Or go to the AISSR website.
The University of Amsterdam offers Bachelor's and Master's programmes in Political Science.
- Conflict Resolution and Governance
- European Politics and External Relations (Political Science)
- International Relations (Political Science)
- Political Economy (Political Science)
- Political Theory (Political Science)
- Public Policy and Governance (Political Science)
- Comparative Politics (Political Science)
Research Master's programmes
Our discpline also contributes to a number of intensive English taught summer and winter programmes on specific themes.
Nieuwe Achtergracht 166
1018 WV Amsterdam
Phone: +31 20 5252169
Room LocationNieuwe Achtergracht 166
1018 WV Amsterdam