In the psychology department, talented and internationally renowned scholars work in their own wayward manner to gain a better understanding of the human mind and human behavior. The critical UvA-student is educated by them during this quest, in which independent thinking is expected and nothing and no one is beyond critique.
The research is organized in six program groups (which are part of the Psychology Research Institute):
- Brain and Cognition: to obtain a better understanding of the nature of human cognition and its neural basis.
- Clinical Psychology: to conduct fundamental research using methods and models from basic psychology to investigate psychopathology, and to run trials to inform clinical practice.
- Developmental Psychology: studying typical and a-typical cognitive development across the life-span: from infancy to senescence.
- Psychological Methods: to improve psychological science in two ways: by developing research methodology and by contributing novel psychological theory.
- Social Psychology: dedicated to studying human beings in their social context, broadly defined.
- Work and Organizational Psychology: dealing with issues of cognitive as well affective adaptation and regulation in changing organizational contexts.
Research priority Brain and Cognition
Together with the research master Brain and Cognitive Sciences, the research prioity area Brain and Cognition forms the Amsterdam Brain and Cognition center (ABC).
The University of Amsterdam offers various Bachelor's and Master's programmes in Psychology.
Master Tracks Psychology
- Psychologie (overview page)(Dutch)
- Psychologie: Training & Ontwikkeling (track)(Dutch)
- Psychology: Training & Development (track)
- Psychology: Behavioural Data Science (track)
- Psychology: Brain & Cognition in Society (track)
- Psychology: Coaching & Vitality in Organisations (track)
- Psychology: Consultancy & Organisational Development (track)
- Psychology: Cultural Psychology (track)
- Psychology: Health Promotion & Behaviour Change (track)
- Psychology: Human Resource & Career Management (track)
- Psychology: Social Influence (track)
- Psychology: Sports and Performance Psychology (track)
Master Tracks Clinical Health Psychology
- Gezondheidszorgpsychologie (overview page)(Dutch)
- Psychologie: Klinische Forensische Psychologie (track)(Dutch)
- Psychologie: Klinische Neuropsychologie (track)(Dutch)
- Psychologie: Klinische Ontwikkelingspsychologie (track)(Dutch)
- Psychologie: Klinische Psychologie (track)(Dutch)
Research Master's programmes
- Research Master's programme in Psychology
- Research Master's programme in Brain and Cognitive Sciences
Nieuwe Achtergracht 129-B
1018 WS Amsterdam