James Mathis is an associate professor in the Department of International Law and a research fellow in the Amsterdam Center for International Law. He participates in the research school Ius Commune. His research interests include International trade law and the WTO, regional trade agreements in the WTO, transatlantic trade issues, technical barriers to trade, and regional / international competition policies.
James is the managing editor of "Legal Issues of Economic Integration", a Kluwer Law journal published four times each year. He is on the Advisory Board for TRALAC, (Capetown, SA), and an occasional advisor on trade and competition issues for UNCTAD, Geneva .
He has conducted guest lectures at the World Bank Institute (DC), TheWorld Trade Organization ( Geneva ), TheEuropean Commission-DG Trade, George Washington University (DC), Columbia University (NY), University of Reykjavic (IS), International Developmental Law Organization ( Rome ), The European Institute of Public Administration ( Maastricht ), Yeditepe University ( Istanbul ), TRALAC (Capetown), among others.
- International Trade Law
- International Trade Law and Domestic Regulation
- Development Issues in International Trade Law
- Regional Trade Agreements in the GATT/WTO: Article XXIV and the Internal Trade Requirement, TMC Asser Press, Den Hague, 2002.
- "Is There Potential for Competition Policy in the ECOWAS", with K. Dawar in, The Effects of Anti-competitive Business Practices on Developing Countries and Their Development Prospects, (eds., Qaqaya, H., & Lipimile, G.,), United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD), UN, Geneva, pp. 365-408, 2008.
- "Regional Trade Agreements and Domestic Regulation, what reach for 'other restrictive regulations of Commerce", in L. Bartels and F. Ortino (eds.), Regional Trade Agreements and the WTO Legal System, Oxford University Press, pp. 79-108, 2006.
- "Competition Cooperation in Regional Integration Agreements, A SACU Example," in M. Mashayekhi and T. Ito (Eds), Multilateralism and Regionalism, The New Interface, United Nations Conference onTrade and Development (UNCTAD),UN, Geneva, pp. 151-170, 2005.
- "Application of Core WTO principles to National Competition Policies", UNCTAD, Technical Series on Issues in Competition Law and Policy, Geneva , 2003.
- "The Community's External Regional Policy in the WTO" in: Pitou van Dijck and Gerrit Faber (eds), The External Economic Dimension of the European Union, Kluwer Law International, 2000.
- "Resolving the WTO Regionalism Impasse", in Japan and The European Union, Ten Years After the Hague Declaration, The Japan Foundation and the Trans-European Policy Studies Association (TEPSA), Brussels, 2000.
- "Mutual Recognition Agreements in the Transatlantic Marketplace", Journal of World Trade, 32:6, pp. 5-31, 1998.
- "Issues in Regional Merger Control" in: World Competition, 21:3, pp. 29-44, 1998.
Text of the new paragraph