Professor of Social Geography/ Urban Geography
Own Education (Free University Amsterdam)
BA, 1975 Human Geography
MA, 1978 Urban and rural geography, subsidiary subjects: Spatial Planning and
Ph. D, 1985 Spatial Structures and Processes of Urban Change
Education and Research
- 1978-1985 Lecturer at the Institute of Geography and Planning, Free
- 1985-1995 Associate Professor at the Department of Human Geography, Faculty
of Environmental Sciences, University of Amsterdam.
- 1995- Professor of Social Geography/ Urban Geography, Centre for Urban
Studies, Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences, University of Amsterdam
Urban Geography focus: international comparative analyses of dynamics in
metropolitan areas; neighbourhood effect studies; spatial segregation and
integration; conditions for the creative knowledge city. Participated and
participates in large European research programmes: URBEX (co-ordinator); COST
CIVITAS; UGIS; RESTATE; Neighbourhood Trajectories; BSIK-ICES-KIS; ACRE
(co-ordinator); Social Polis (co-coordinator); COST CIRES; and a range of NWO
(Dutch Research Council) programmes, most recently in Urban Regions in the Delta
and JPI Urban Europe. Co-operations with a large number of other universities in
the framework of European research programmes and beyond.
Research Management, Membership of Organisations
- 1989-1993 Scientific coordinator and manager of the 'Urban Networks' (on
urban transformation processes).
- 1995-1997 Director of the Amsterdam Study Centre for the Metropolitan
Environment (AME), University of Amsterdam.
- 1994-1999 Member of the board of directors and general board of the
Netherlands Graduate School of Housing and Urban Research (NETHUR).
- 1997-1998 Dean of the Faculty of Environmental Sciences, University of
- 1998-1999 Vice-dean of the Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences.
- 1998-2002 Advisor of the local government of Amsterdam (mayor and aldermen)
in the field of spatial and social strategy.
- 1998-2002 Chairman of the Department of Geography and Planning of the
University of Amsterdam.
- 1999-2009 Chairman of the Netherlands Graduate School of Housing and Urban
- 2004-2005 Chairman of the interdisciplinary commission for preparing new
urban research themes for the Netherlands Organisation of Scientific Research).
- 2004-2005 Member of the 'assessment committee VICI (large research programme
funds', Netherlands Organisation of Scientific Research)
- 2005-2013 Member of the general board of the Royal Dutch Geographical
- 2006-2008 Member of the International Advisory Group for the Evaluation of
the UK government Mixed Communities Programme.
- 2009-2011 Director of the University of Amsterdam Priority Research
Programme on Urban Studies (now Centre for Urban Studies).
- 2002- Director of the research programme ' Urban Geography'.
- 2007- Member of the international advisory board of the (Research) Institute
für Landeskunde Leipzig ( Germany ).
- 2009- Member of the Koninklijke Hollandsche Maatschappij der Wetenschappen.
- 2012- Member of the International assessment committee of the European
Research Council (ERC) Starting Grants.
Editorships (past and current)
- Corresponding Editor of the International Journal of Urban and Regional
- Member of the Editorial Board of Urban Studies
- Member of the Management and Editorial Board of Housing Studies
- Member of the Editorial Board of Urban Affairs Review
- Member of the Editorial Board of Urban Geography
- Member of the International Advisory Board of GéoCarrefour
At the end of 2014, 19 of his PhD students successfully defended their
See separate tab. (Co-) Author of approx. 450 publications, including approx.
30 books and special issues of international journals.