I am an assistant professor in international relations and conflict resolution and governance. I specialise in the intersection of humanitarian intervention and border control and am currently researching what I term 'humanitarian borderwork' in Europe that builds on previous research into humanitarianism, border policing and the political sociologies of walls, fences and security barriers.
My work therefore broadly sits in the borderland between International Relations, Critical Security Studies and Political Geography with a regional expertise focused on the Mediterranean, specifically Greece, and the Middle East.
Geopolitics Forum and Review Editor
Principal Researcher ADMIGOV: Advancing Alternative Migration Goverance European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme grant agreement No 822625
- Marieke de Goede, Esmé Bosma, and Polly Pallister-Wilkins, ed.s (2019) Secrecy and Methods in Security Research: A Guide to Qualitative Fieldwork. London: Routledge.
- Polly Pallister-Wilkins (2019) 'Im/mobility and humanitarian triage,' in Handbook on Critical Geographies of Migration, Katharyne Mitchell, Reece Jones and Jennifer Fluri ed.s, Northhampton, MA: Edward Elgar.
- Polly Pallister-Wilkins (2019) 'Médecins Sans Frontières and the Practice of Universalist Humanitarianism,' pp. 158-175 in Open Borders: In Defense of Free Movement, Reece Jones ed., Athens, GA: University of Georgia Press.
- Polly Pallister-Wilkins (2017) 'An interview with Polly Pallister-Wilkins: Mediterranean as a Humanitarian Border,' Meltem: Journal of the Izmir Mediterranean Academy 2: 91-96 http://www.meltemizmeda.org/YuklenenDosyalar/Dergi/210220180323_Meltem-No.2,_Sayfa_91-96.pdf.
- Polly Pallister-Wilkins (2017) 'Humanitarian Rescue/Sovereign Capture and the policing of possible responses to violent borders,' Global Policy 8(1): 19-24.
- Polly Pallister-Wilkins (2017) 'Humanitarian Borderwork: actors, spaces, categories' in Reece Jones, Corey Johnson, Wendy Brown, Gabriel Popescu, Polly Pallister-Wilkins, Alison Mountz and Emily Gilbert 'Interventions on the state of sovereignty at the border,' Political Geography 59: 1-10 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.polgeo.2017.02.006
- Polly Pallister-Wilkins (2017) 'Humanitarian Borderwork' pp. 85-103 in Border Politics: Defining Spaces of Governance and Forms of Transgressions, Cengiz Günay and Nina Witjes ed.s, Springer.
- Polly Pallister-Wilkins (2016) 'The Tensions of the Ceuta and Melilla Border Fences,' pp. 63-81 in EurAfrican Borders and Migration Management: Political Cultures, Contested Spaces and Ordinary Lives, Alice Bellagamba, Stephan Dünnwald and Paolo Gaibazzi, ed.s. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillian.
- Michelle Pace and Polly Pallister-Wilkins (2016) 'EU-Hamas: actors in a state of permanent liminality,' Journal of International Relations and Development, DOI: 10.1057/s41268-016-0080-y.
- Polly Pallister-Wilkins (2016) 'Personal Protective Equipment in the humanitarian governance of Ebola: between individual patient care and global biosecurity,' Third World Quarterly 37(3): 507-523, DOI: 10.1080/01436597.2015.1116935.
- Julien Jeandesboz and Polly Pallister-Wilkins (2016) 'Crisis, routine, consolidation: the politics of the Mediterranean migration crisis,' Mediterranean Politics 21(2): 316-320, DOI: 10.1080/13629395.2016.1145825.
- Polly Pallister-Wilkins (2016) 'Interrogating the Mediterranean 'Migration Crisis',' Mediterranean Politics 21(2): 311-315, DOI: 10.1080/13629395.2016.1145826.
- Polly Pallister-Wilkins (2016) 'How Walls Do Work: Security Barriers as Devices of Interruption and Data Capture,' Security Dialogue 47(2): 151-164, DOI: 10.1177/0967010615615729.
- Corinna Mullin and Polly Pallister-Wilkins (2015) 'The West Asian and North African Uprisings and the Limits of Liberal Governance,' Journal of Intervention and Statebuilding 9(2): 151-161, DOI:10.1080/17502977.2015.1020739
- Polly Pallister-Wilkins (2015) 'Bridging the Divide: Middle Eastern walls and fences and the spatial governance of problem populations,' Geopolitics 20(2): 438-459, DOI: 10.1080/14650045.2015.1005287
- Polly Pallister-Wilkins (2015) 'The Humanitarian Politics of European Border Policing: Frontex and Border Police in Evros,' International Political Sociology 9(1): 53-69.
- Julien Jeandesboz and Polly Pallister-Wilkins (2014) 'Crisis, Enforcement and Control at the EU Borders,' pp. 115-135 Crisis and Migration: Critical Perspectives, Anna Lindley ed. London: Routledge.
- Polly Pallister-Wilkins (2011) 'The Separation Wall: A Symbol of Power and a Site of Resistance?' Antipode 43(5): 1851-1882
- Polly Pallister-Wilkins (2010) 'Anarchists Against the Wall: A Post-Structuralist Challenge to Zionism,' pp. 213-228 in Rebels Against Zion: Studies on Jewish Left Anti-Zionists, August Grabski ed. Warsaw: Jewish Historical Institute.
- Polly Pallister-Wilkins (2009) 'Radical Ground: Israeli and Palestinian Activists and Joint Protest Against the Wall,' Social Movement Studies 8(4): 393-407.
'Walking, Not Flowing: The Migrant Caravan and the Geoinfrastructuring of Unequal Mobility.' Society & Space, February, 2019.
'Dit is waarom media niet moeten schrijven over ‘migrantenstromen’.' De Nieuwe Reporter, October, 2018.
'Criminalising Αssistance and Solidarity: The ERCI Case and Beyond.' Refugee Observatory, September, 2018.
'Hotspots and the Politics of Humanitarian Control and Care.' Society & Space, December 2016.
The Papacy: Paternalistic as Ever: A Response to Anja Karlsson Franck
Guns at the border?
"There’s A Focus On The Boats Because The Sea Is Sexier Than The Land: A Reflection on the Centrality of the Boats in the Recent ‘Migration Crisis.’" The Disorder of Things. December 2015.
"The Politics of Illegality in the Humanitarian Borderwork of Médecins Sans Frontières." Border Criminologies, November 2015.
"Aylan Kurdi: Coming to Terms With an Image. Invoking the Child as Totem." Society & Space, October 2015.
"Categories and labels in emergency governance." BLIND: online interdisciplinair tijdschrift 40, September 2015
"The Humanitarian Policing of ‘Our Sea'." Border Criminologies, April 2015
“Fences Don’t Make Us Safe.” Politics.co.uk. 14 February 2012.
“Searching for accountability in EU migration-management practices.” openDemocracy. 19 October, 2011.
“Criticism of EU-Libya migration policy is too little, too late.” openDemocracy. August, 2011.
“Entry Denied: Revolution in North Africa and the Continued Centrality of Migration to European Responses.” Jadaliyya. 29 May, 2011.
“Playing Politics with Schengen.” openDemocracy. 16 July, 2011.