Bernadette van Hout-Wolters is a full professor in educational science. Her background is cognitive psychology (PhD, 1986).
Until 2011 she was the program leader of the research program entitled 'Skills related to knowledge acquisition in secondary education' of the Research Institute of Child Development and Education (CDE) at the University of Amsterdam. The research projects in this program covered studies in: (1) domain-specific skills in the natural science, language, and social science subjects, and (2) domain-exceeding skills, such as skills for self-directed learning, critical thinking and co-orporation.
Since 2012 she is especially active in supervising delayed PhD-students (of various disciplines) and mentoring refugee students.
Her research themes concern cognitive and metacognitive strategies of secondary school students in regular classrooms and computer supported learning environments. She is especially interested in learning strategies in text studying (for several school subjects) and in methods for measuring these learning strategies.
The last few years she has also been engaged in studying the gap between educational research and educational practice.
1986: Ph.D. at Tilburg University, the Netherlands (with honours).
1963 - 1969: M.Sc. in Psychology at the University of Nijmegen, the Netherlands (with honours).
2017- present: Mentor UAF (Foundation for Refugee Students)
2013 - present: Supervisor delayed PhD Students
2011 - present: Guest professor, Department of Child Development and Education, University of Amsterdam
2010-2011: Program leader of the research program 'Skills related to knowledge acquisition in secondary education' of the Research Institute of Child Development and Education, Faculty of Social and Behavioral Sciences, University of Amsterdam.
1998 - 2010: Program leader and research director of the Graduate School of Teaching and Learning, University of Amsterdam.
1992: Honorary professor at the Limburgs Universitair Centrum te Diepenbeek (now Hasselt University, Belgium).
1990 - 2011: Full professor of Educational Sciences at Graduate School of Teaching and Learning of the University of Amsterdam
1990 - 1998: Full professor of Educational Sciences at the Faculty of Pedagogical and Educational Sciences, University of Amsterdam (part-time secondment).
1990 - 1995: Dean of the Graduate School of Teaching and Learning, University of Amsterdam.
1988 - 1989: Dean of Instruction and member of the Faculty Board, Faculty of Educational Technology, University of Twente.
1987 - 1990: Coordinator Post-graduate Courses for Secondary school Teachers, University of Twente.
1985 - 1990: Assistant professor at the section of Instructional Technology, and subsection Teacher Education, Faculty of Educational Technology, University of Twente.
1978 - 1985: Assistant professor at the University Institute of Teacher Education and Research (AOLO) of the University of Nijmegen.
1974 - 1977: Lecturer and Instructional Advisor at the Technical College (HTS/SLP) Hengelo (part-time secondment).
1969 - 1978: Lecturer (wetenschappelijk medewerker) at the Centre for Educational Research and Development of the University of Twente.
Valedictory lecture University of Amsterdam (9-11-2011)
Inaugural adress University of Amsterdam (13-5-1992)
Three types of publications will be described here: journal articles, books, and chapters in books .
- Scientific Advisory Board of the Research School ICO
(Interuniversity Centre For Educational Research)
- Management team of the Research School ICO (Interuniversity Centre for Educational Research) (2000-2009)
- Management team of the Graduate School of Teaching and Learning (ILO) of the University of Amsterdam (1990 - 2010)
- Board of the Stichting Fonds Doctor Catharine van Tussenbroek VVAO (2008 - present)
- Board of the division Learning and Instruction of the Dutch Educational Research Association VOR (vice-chair, 1998 - 2004)
- Board of the Dutch Association for Teacher Educators VELON (1989 - 1993)
- Board of the division Educational Psychology of the Dutch Professional Association of Psychologists NIP (1988 - 1992).
- Board of the Dutch Educational Research Association (VOR, vice-president).
- Board of the NationalResearch Group Learning & Instruction (Onderzoeksthemagroep(OTG) Onderwijsleerprocessen)
- Board of the faculty of Educational Technology of the University of Twente.
• Kluwer Navigator Education (Advisor), 2011-present
- Metacognition and Learning (Associate editor, 2005 - 2011)
• Learning and Individual Differences (Editorial board, 2000 - 2007)
• The School Field (Editorial board, 1996 - 2006)
• Learning and Instruction (Editorial board, 1996 - 2002)
• Didaktief (Correspondent, 1999 - present)
• Tijdschrift voor Onderwijsresearch (Dutch Journal of Educational Research, Editorial board, 1988 - 2000)
• National Fund for Scientific Research (FWO, Brussels),
Committee for Educational Policy- and Practice-oriented
Research, 2005 - present.
• Research Council (Onderzoeksraad) University of Antwerpen, Review Committee, 2006 - 2010.
• Education Council (Onderwijsraad) University of Gent, Review Committee innovation projects, 2006 - 2010
• General Research Policy Committee of the University of Amsterdam UOC, 1998 - 2010)
• Scientific committee of the ICO Research School Interuniversity Centre for Educational Research, 2003-2008.
• Research committee of the Interdisciplinary Committee Teacher Education (ICL) of the Association of Universities in the Netherlands (VSNU), 2005 - 2007, chair.
• College of Referents for the Social Sciences (MagW) of the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO), 2003 - 2007.
• Jury Research Award of the National Committee on Study skills (LOS), 2004(chair).
• Jury OutstandingPublication Award of the European Association for Research on Learning and Instruction (EARLI), 2003.
• Research group 'Domain specific skills' of the Research School ICO (Interuniversitary Centre for Educational Research), 1998 - 2003 (coordinator)
• Interdisciplinary Committee Teacher Education (ICL)of the Association of Universities in the Netherlands (VSNU), 1986 - 1993
• Special Interest Group 'Comprehension of Text and Graphics' of the Educational Association for Research on Learning and Instruction EARLI,1989-1993 (coordinator).