The invited media professionals are working in all major industries: television, film, journalism, social media entertainment, advertising and public relations, digital games, and music.
Specific highlighted topics are:
- the history of media industries and production studies;
- media production studies as a field and a research method;
- changing media business models, economics, and management;
- global concentration and convergence of media industries and professions;
- the rise and role of startups and entrepreneurship;
- freelancing in the digital age;
- the role of creativity and innovation;
- the emotional quality of media work;
- diversity and inequality in the media industries.
Day, time, location and costs
- 13 February - 21 March 2024
- Tuesday 13:00-15:00 and Thursday 17:00-19:00
- Oudemanhuispoort, D0.08 (on Tuesday) and D1.08 (on Thursday)
- Costs: € 210 (AUV-members € 189)
Important to know
- The registration deadline for this OUC is 22 January 2024.
- For the current study schedule, please consult the UvA timetable website
- Study material: Scholarly journal articles and book chapters available digitally via Canvas and the UvA library online.
- You can only audit an OUC, which means that you may only attend lectures and cannot attend seminars, take part in the examination, or obtain ECTS credits.
Public programme Humanities
This Open UvA Course is part of the Faculty of Humanities' public programme. Beside Open UvA Courses, the public programme also comprises special lectures and series of courses. The public programme is intended for alumni, employees looking for extra training, and all others who are interested in art, culture, philosophy, language and literature, history and religion.