Useful Information about installing software
Please find useful information about installing software (e.g. Matlab) on your computer here: Software (datanose.nl)
The following hardware recommendations apply:
- 4 GB of RAM or more;
- HDD of SSD: 128GB or 256 gb for a dual boot, SSD is recommended.
- Wifi adapter needs to support 802.11abgn (dual-band) and 802.1x WLAN authentication
- Screen: at least 11"
- Screen resolution: at least 1366x768, 1920x1080 is recommended.
Software with discount
UvA students can purchase software and various cloud services at a substantial discount through Surfspot.
Microsoft Office is available for all students and staff (Windows and macOS):
- Go to Office portal and log in with firstname.lastname@example.org (your password is your UvAnetID)
- Click on "Install Office" -> "Office 365 apps"
Do you have any (technical) questions about your laptop? You can e-mail the laptop-helpdesk via email@example.com.
Rent a laptop
In case your laptop is broken, students of the Faculty of Science can temporarily rent laptops from the service desk at the Science Park Library. Sent an email to the library for more information.