After this minor you are able to understand and evaluate theoretical knowledge and current developments in the product and labour markets. This will give you an advantage when seeking employment in the public sector, in private corporations, NGOs and international organisations.
This minor consists of 30 EC spread over 2 semesters. There are 4 compulsory courses which cover a wide range of topics in microeconomics (24 EC). This is supplemented with 1 restricted-choice elective that gives you the possibility to gain more knowledge of a particular subject (6 EC).
Principles of Economics???studyprogramme .period??? 16
Mathematics 1 for Economics???studyprogramme .period??? 16
Microeconomics 2???studyprogramme .period??? 46
Game Theory???studyprogramme .period??? 56
Restricted-course elective: International Trade and Investment???studyprogramme .period??? 26
Restricted-course elective: Organisational Economics???studyprogramme .period??? 46
Restricted-course elective: Economics of Markets and Organisations???studyprogramme .period??? 56
Restricted-course elective: Industrial Organisation???studyprogramme .period??? 56
- The minor is open to students who have successfully completed their first-year (60 EC) of a research university (WO) Bachelor's programme.
- Students from a University of Applied Sciences (HBO) who passed their first-year programme (60 EC) can also be admitted.
- Students from the UvA Bachelor's programme in Business Administratio nobtain an exemption for the course “Principles of Economics” . These students have to take one additional course from among the above list of elective courses in order to ensure that their Minor-programme consists of 30 EC.
Students from the UvA Bachelor's programme in Econometrics or Actuarial Science obtain an exemption for the courses “Principles of Economics” and “Mathematics 1 for Economics”. These students then have to take two additional courses from among the above list of elective courses in order to ensure that their Minor-programme consists of 30 EC.
Application and Admission
Application for this minor starts Tuesday 10 May at 10:00 AM.
Please note that you can only apply for one minor at the Faculty of Economics and Business. All other applications at our Faculty will not be taken into consideration.
What do you need to apply?
- a short motivation to be copied in the application form.
- Sign up as an elective student (bijvak student) for Bachelor's in Economics and Business Economics in Studielink before 8 May. Important: make sure that your start date is 1 September 2022.
You will not be able to sign up for the minor without enrolment.
- a signed and stamped transcript of your study results so far.
More info and contact
For more general information about applying for and taking a minor, visit the student website about minors at UvA Economics and Business. Or you can contact the Education Desk.