The minimum scores required on the TOEFL Test are:
- Internet-based test (iBT): 92 with a minimum subscore of 22 on each subject (listening/reading/writing/speaking)
- Exceptions: Artificial Intelligence, Brain and Cognitive Sciences, Information Studies and Software Engineering: 100 with a minimum of 22 for Listening, 24 for Reading and Writing and 25 for Speaking
The TOEFL-code for the Faculty of Science of the University of Amsterdam is: 9011.
IELTS Test (only Academic IELTS is accepted)
- Minimum score 6.5, and a subscore of at least 6.0 on all subject (listening/ reading/ writing/ speaking).
- Exceptions: Artificial Intelligence, Brain and Cognitive Sciences, Software Engineering and Information Studies: minimum score 7.0, and in addition a 6.5 minimum on each subject.
Cambridge English Qualifications
- A minimum score of: C1 Advanced with a minimum of 180 or Cambridge C2
- Exceptions: Artificial Intelligence, Brain and Cognitive Sciences, Information Studies and Software Engineering: a minimum score of: C1 Advanced with a minimum of 190.
Nuffic Certificate for Chinese students
Chinese applicants are required to take an IELTS test or the TOEFL (Internet-based test only). These are the only two tests accepted by the Nuffic, which provides certificates to all Chinese students who wish to study in the Netherlands.
The online TOEFL Home Edition is allowed for the intakes of February and September 2023. The IELTS indicator test is not allowed.
MyBest™ Scores are not accepted
TOEFL and IELTS Test results should not be older than two years. After this date results cannot be verified anymore by the testing organizations. Applicants are therefore advised to submit a TOEFL or IELTS English proficiency test result which is not older than two years before the start of the academic programme.
Cambridge English Qualifications older than two years will be accepted.