The duties and powers of the Examinations Board include:
- ensuring the quality of eaminations
- the appointment of examiners
- assessing requests from students for exemptions from the curriculum
- awarding a distinction cum laude
- imposing sanctions for fraud and plagiarism
Expertise and independence
It is important for the Examinations Boards to be able to operate independently and expertly. This relates to an Examinations Board’s position within the organisation, the appointment and composition of its members and its duties and powers.
Each UvA Examinations Board consists of at least three members: a chairperson, a deputy chairperson connected to the programme, and one external member.
You can find more information on the legal framework and the Examination Board's composition, duties and powers in the Examinations Board Guide.