As a guest researcher, you can use our research expertise, our University Library and the digital sources. Guests contribute to either education or research in the faculty. They have no employment with the UvA, and pay for their stay themselves.
Policy for approval
Guest researchers have something to offer to the faculty, i.e. a department or a Research School. This can be in the field of research or education, or supportive of education or research. Examples of this are:
- publications that contribute to a research project or research group;
- active participation in a research project or research group;
- making a contribution to education, for example through guest lectures or an innovation project;
- (co) supervision of PhD students.
The guest has sufficient knowledge of the English language. The guest endorses the principles of the Dutch Code of Conduct for Scientific Integrity (VSNU 2018).
What can you expect?
- You receive a guest account that allows you to use various facilities at the University of Amsterdam, such as access to the Digital Library; Internet access to the UvA domain (also wifi) and you will receive a UvA email account;
- In all cases you have a host: a FGw staff member with a permanent position who acts as a host and is the primary contact person for the guest;
- You receive a guest account from a stay of more than 3 months, and is usually for 1 year. The guest account can be extended to a maximum of 3 years in total;
- As a rule, you will not get a workplace;
- The FGW can apply for a visa for you. The application for guest-status must then be submitted at least 3 months in advance.
First of all, determine how your project fits in or contributes to the department's or research school's programme. Choose a host and send him/her an email and a brief proposal for your guest stay. The request must be made by the guest and the host together. He/she is in the possession of the correct form to request the guest status.