For best experience please turn on javascript and use a modern browser!
You are using a browser that is no longer supported by Microsoft. Please upgrade your browser. The site may not present itself correctly if you continue browsing.

The University of Amsterdam is shocked by, and condemns, the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Our thoughts go out to everyone who has been affected by this terrible war and we wish to provide assistance wherever we can. We are in close contact with students and staff from the region who are working and studying here. It has been decided to freeze all ongoing collaborations with Russian (academic) institutions, and new agreements will not be entered into.

This page was last updated 20 May 2022.

Questions about financial matters

  • I am having problems paying tuition and living expenses because of the crisis. How can you help?

    Because every situation is different, there are multiple ways in which you can receive financial aid. 

    Turn to the emergency fund for help

    UvA students who require financial assistance due to the Russian invasion of Ukraine can turn to an emergency fund for help. The fund consists of a crowdfunding campaign and a substantial contribution from the Amsterdam University Fund (AUF). 100% of any payment from the fund is a gift. As a result, students do not need to reimburse this sum.  

    We feel a responsibility towards all our students. In addition to students from Ukraine, students from Russia and Belarus can therefore also apply to the fund. They form part of our academic community and are not held personally responsible for the Russian invasion. The Ministry of Education, Culture and Science has explicitly asked universities to do this. 

    How can you submit for an application?  

    If you need a contribution, make an appointment with a student counsellor first. After a discussion, you will decide together what else is required to submit an application.  

    Applications can be submitted during the 2021-2022 academic year subject to the following conditions:  

    • You are enrolled as a student at the UvA   
    • You are of Ukrainian, Russian or Belarusian nationality  
    • Existing regulations do not apply to your situation or do not apply to a sufficient extent   
    • There is a demonstrable acute financial need related to the invasion of Ukraine. 

    For short or emergency questions, you can call a student counselor from Monday to Friday between 09:00 and 10:00 at +31 (0)20 525 1401. Choose 'student counsellors' in the phone menu.

    Other options

    Request a payment arrangement
    If you have difficulties paying your tuition fees the payment arrangement might help. Request the payment arrangement.

    Having problems paying rent?
    In emergency situations, students can always turn to a student counsellor. Together you will examine what help can be offered. 

    Apply for a loan
    In addition to a gift from the emergency fund, the UvA has decided that affected students with acute financial problems can also apply for an emergency loan. This emergency loan is aimed at all students from Ukraine, Russia and Belarus who experience financial hardship due to the war in Ukraine. To apply for the loan you can fill in this form and send it to

    Please note: this e-mail adress is only used for loan-applications. For all other questions you can turn to study advisors or your specific programme.

  • Are Ukrainian students eligible for the statutory tuition fee rate (instead of the institutional tuition fee rate)?

    All fourteen universities in the Netherlands will be lowering the 2022-2023 tuition fees Ukrainian students. We are currently looking into ways to make this possible.

  • Besides help for Ukranian students, why are you also helping Russian and Belarusian students?

    We feel a responsibility towards all our students. In addition to students from Ukraine, students from Russia and Belarus can therefore also apply to the fund. They form part of our academic community and are not held personally responsible for the Russian invasion. The Ministry of Education, Culture and Science has explicitly asked universities to do this. That is why we are currently providing emergency aid to any of our students who need it, regardless of their background.

Questions about visa, residence and arriving in Amsterdam

Questions about studying at UvA

  • I am afraid the crisis will affect my study progress, what can I do?

    Students coming from Ukraine and Russia and those with family or friends in the region are very concerned. This offcourse can affect your study progress. The UvA’s Teaching and Examinations Regulations and the Profiling Fund Regulations contain provisions in which (special) personal circumstances are or can be taken into account.

    If necessary, students will be approached to discuss this with their study adviser and/or to share their personal circumstances with a student counsellor.

  • I am a refugee student from Ukraine and would like to study at the UvA. What are the options?

    The Dutch government is examining how refugee Ukrainian students can be given a place in higher education here in the Netherlands. As soon as more information about the possibilities at the UvA is available, we will communicate this here. 

    To apply for one of our English-taught programmes you will first need to check the entry requirements and the application deadline on the programme’s website and follow the application steps.

    Unable to provide documentation?

    If you are unable to provide documentation please provide us with a ION (Indication of level of previous education) and add all the information and documents you do have. This ION can be obtained via IDW-Nuffic. Please note that an interview and/or topic specific tests can be part of the admissions process. If you encounter difficulties with obtaining an English language score report, please contact the admissions office.

  • The enrolment deadline for my degree programme is currently 1 April. Can this be extended?

    Students are invited to contact the relevant programme about this. Together you can search for a fitting solution.

  • I am a student from Russia or Belarus. Can I still enrol for the new academic year?

    Currently, Russian and Belarusian students can still apply if the application deadline has not yet passed. Please contact the relevant programme for application deadlines. If changes to this policy are announced by the Dutch government we will communicate about this(here). Please also keep an eye on the website of the government and the website of the IND.

  • Will exchange programmes with Russian institutions continue in 2022/2023?

    A decision has already been made to freeze all collaborations with Russian institutions. As a result, the student exchanges with institutes from Russia cannot take place for the first semester of 2022/2023.

  • Can I use study places in the University Library as a refugee student?

    Student refugees will receive a library card free of charge if they show their passport or identity card at the library desk. This gives them unlimited access to the locations as well as access to wifi/internet. Student refugees who have reported to Student Services with the request to register as a student will receive a library card as soon as the request is submitted. This means that the student will not have to wait for the outcome of the registration and enrolment procedure.

Questions about health and safety

Questions about traveling

Working together in Amsterdam

We are in contact with the municipality of Amsterdam for any requests for assistance that may be received relating specifically to us. In addition, there are regular consultations with the other Amsterdam universities of applied sciences and universities about initiatives that could be taken together, including those involving the municipality. These include language education, summer schools and the range of study places available.

Offer help to others