For best experience please turn on javascript and use a modern browser!
You are using a browser that is no longer supported by Microsoft. Please upgrade your browser. The site may not present itself correctly if you continue browsing.
International students are required to take a language proficiency examination in Dutch before they are admitted to a degree programme taught in Dutch.

Dutch language courses

Dutch language courses are offered at the Institute for Dutch Language Education (INTT) of the UvA. Students will be admitted to these courses only if the evaluation of their diploma or diplomas shows that preparatory education is sufficient for admission to the university.

Duration of the course

The course takes place four times a year. If you are an absolute beginner, it is recommended that you start the Dutch language course in September. It will take you approximately one year before you have a sufficient command of the Dutch language to pass the required state examination 'Dutch as a second language, programme II' (NT2-II). 

  • There is a special summer course for German students. Experience has shown that most German students are able to learn Dutch within two months. The INTT summer course is a six-week course. Approximately 75 per cent of students pass the state examination after this course.

HBO students

Students who have completed an English-language professional education (HBO) propedeuse (first-year diploma) or HBO degree programme can take an intensive Dutch language course at the Institute for Dutch Language Education (INTT) of the UvA in order to prepare for the NT2-II exam. 

Proof of Dutch language proficiency :

  • Certificate Dutch as a Foreign Language (CNaVT):  Profiel Academische Taalvaardigheid (PAT), Educatief Professioneel (EDUP) C1-niveau,  Profiel Taalvaardigheid Hoger Onderwijs (PTHO) or Educatief Startbekwaam (STRT) B2-niveau.
  •  ITNA certificaat, B2 (Inter Universitaire Taaltest voor Anderstaligen).

Preparing abroad

To find information about preparing for the NT2-II Dutch language proficiency exam in your own country, please visit the Study in Holland website.

Proof of Dutch language proficiency 

(other than the NT2-II exam) 

The following documents are accepted as proof of sufficient command of the Dutch language, and therefore exempt you from taking the language proficiency NT2 examination:

  • Belgium: Flemish Community:  Diploma van Secundair Onderwijs
  • Germany:  Abitur with  Niederländisch as  Prüfungsfach or Leistungsfach, University  Zwischenprüfung Niederländisch
  • Suriname: VWO diploma from Suriname,  Propedeuse diploma (Anton de Kom Universiteit), or HAVO with an HBO propedeuse.
  • Dutch professional education: MBO or HBO diploma
  • Dutch primary and secondary education: primary school and three years in secondary school in the Netherlands with at least a grade of 6 on the final transcript
  • Certificate Dutch as a Foreign Language (CNaVT):  Profiel Academische Taalvaardigheid (PAT)  or Educatief Professioneel (EDUP) C1-niveau or Profiel Taalvaardigheid Hoger Onderwijs (PTHO) or Educatief Startbekwaam (STRT) B2-niveau
  • The Netherlands Antilles and Aruba: VWO diploma or any diploma from a Dutch institute of higher education
  • United Kingdom: British General Certificate of Education (GCE) with an advanced level (A-level) in Dutch, International GCE with an A level in First Language Dutch
  • Other diplomas: European Baccalaureate with Dutch as first or second language, International Baccalaureate with Dutch A at Higher Level (HL) or Standard Level (SL), International Baccalaureate with Dutch B at Higher Level (HL), Certificate of exemption given by the director of the Institute for Dutch Language Education (INTT) of the University of Amsterdam

If you do not possess any of the documents above, then you are required to take the Dutch as Second Language (NT2-II) state examination.