Why choose a minor?
- To expand your breadth of knowledge by choosing an interdisciplinary minor or a minor in a different field.
- To increase your depth of knowledge by choosing a specialised minor in your field.
- To prepare for the process of choosing a Master’s programme.
- To start thinking about your options after the Bachelor’s programme.
Minors on offer
A variety of minors are available at each UvA faculty. A minor is a cohesive set of courses worth 15 to 60 ECTS credits (most minors are 24 or 30 ECTS) that you can take in addition to your major.
Need help choosing?
Not sure which Minor programme is right for you? Here are some tips to help you choose:
1. Choose a Minor
Choose a minor programme that suits your interests and goals (see the information under 'Why choose a Minor?', 'Minors on offer' and 'Need help choosing?')
2. Check the entry requirements and application process in the Course Catalogue
Choose a minor from the list of Minors to find a link to the Course Catalogue, which contains more information about the entry requirements and the application process for each minor.
3. Submit enrolment application in Studielink (non-UvA students)
- Log in to Studielink and select the degree programme where you want to follow a minor. Select the degree programme with ‘elective’ added to the end. The name of the degree programme to which the minor belongs to can be found in the Course Catalogue.
- Even if you have already registered as an elective course student at the UvA before, it is still necessary to re-register in Studielink at the start of each new academic year.
- Within two working days of your registration request via Studielink, you will receive an email with your UvA student ID number and an activation email for your account.
4. Check whether you will need to pay tuition
- Non-UvA students are not required to pay tuition fees for a minor, provided they pay the statutory tuition fee at their own institution. Please upload your ‘Proof of Payment’, complete with your student ID number, through your Enrolment Checklist. It may happen that your institution sends the Proof of Payment directly to the UvA. If this is the case, you'll be notified after you've requested the Proof of Payment.
- If you have not paid the statutory tuition fee at your institution, different rules apply. Please see the Enrolment Provisions for the University of Amsterdam or contact the Central Student Service Desk.
5. Register for a minor
Go to one of the minors in the list of Minors to find information on admission and how to apply. You can find the full programme and course descriptions in the Course Catalogue.