What sort of rooms are available at UvA student housing?
There are three room types available:
- Shared bedroom with shared facilities
- Private bedroom with shared facilities
- Private bedroom with private facilities (some are suitable for couples)
Rooms within a room type may be different, but the basics of the rooms remain the same. All of our rooms have basic furnishing.
How do I indicate which room type I want?
Room types are linked to four monthly rent budget categories. When filling in the housing application form you need to enter a budget category. Before you choose a budget category, inform yourself about the costs of UvA student housing.
What type of room can I expect in each budget category?
|Room types||Private bedroom||Private facilities||Budget category|
|Private room with shared facilities||Yes||No||1, 2, 3|
|Private room||Yes||Yes||3, 4|
* Some have shared facilities
- Budget category 1: < €410 per month. Shared rooms or small private rooms with shared facilities. Shared rooms are suitable to share with a friend.
- Budget category 2: €410 - €500 per month. Small private rooms with shared facilities.
- Budget category 3: €500 - €600 per month. Larger private rooms with shared facilities or small private rooms with private facilities.
Budget category 4: €600 - €875 per month. Larger private rooms with private facilities, some are suitable for couples.
- In a private room with private facilities you have your own room or studio (container), including your own private kitchen and private bathroom. The more expensive rooms in this category are generally larger than the other rooms, and some have a more decorated and/or contemporary interior, or include sports- or entertainment facilities within or around the building.
- Applying for a private room as a couple: If your partner will also be a UvA/AUAS student, you can apply together. Only one of you needs to fill in the housing application form, choose budget category 4, and apply for a couples room.
What are the UvA student housing locations?
The UvA does not have a big campus where all the rooms are located, but we have over 20 different off-campus buildings throughout the whole city. The student housing buildings are mostly situated in residential neighborhoods.
It is not possible to request a specific location. All students are assigned randomly to rooms within their budget category. Location and budget category are not linked. Student housing in a higher budget category is not more conveniently located than that in a lower budget category.
The maximum travel time from the housing locations to the UvA’s campuses is for Dutch standards relatively low: about 45 minutes. Most locals travel by bike or public transport. Check the 9292 route planner (for public transport) or Google Maps to find your way in Amsterdam. If you would like to learn more about the different areas check our page on different neighborhoods in Amsterdam.
Who will be the housing provider that sends me a housing offer?
UvA international student housing has partnerships with multiple housing providers:
- Lieven De Key
- StuNest - Spartaan
- Student Experience - Amsterdam NDSM
- OurCampus Amsterdam Diemen
The rooms are owned and managed by the housing providers but reserved by the UvA for our international students. UvA housing will forward your information to one of the housing providers, and they will send you the room offer. The UvA also uses the platform ROOM.nl for students to book their rooms.