Since the beginning of 2004 Ronald van Ooik has worked as a
senior lecturer and researcher at the department of European
Law, Faculty of Law, University of Amsterdam. Since 1990 he is
also a member of the department of the Law of International
Organisations, Utrecht University. His main focus is on the
institutional law of the European Union. He has written
numerous articles on European law, in particular on the system
of judicial protection, free movement of persons, enlargement
of the Union, and education and EU law. He participates in many
courses, trainings and seminars for third parties, such as law
firms, candidates for posts at the European Commission and
civil servants of various Dutch ministries. In 1999 he finished
his Ph.D. thesis, which deals with the choice of the legal
basis for decisions of the European Union.
Law of the European Union, Law of
- "Revamping the European Union's Enforcement Systems with
a View to Eastern Enlargement" (with Deirdre Curtin), Working
Documents W 110, WRR Scientific Council for Government
Policy, The Hague, 2000, pp. 125 - 152.
- "Freedom of Movement of Self-Employed Persons and the
Europe Agreements", 4 European Journal of Migration and
Law, 2002 , pp. 377 - 393.
- Rapport: "Europeanisation"of the law: consequences for
the Dutch judiciary (with S. Prechal, J.H. Jans, K.J.M.
Mortelmans), (The Hague: Council for the Judiciary,
- "The Growing Importance of Agencies in the EU: Shifting
Governance and the Institutional Balance", in: D.M. Curtin
and R.A. Wessel (eds.), 'Good Governance and the European
Union. Reflections on Concepts, Institutions and Substance,
(Antwerp: Intersentia, 2005).
- "The Yusuf and Kadi-uitspraken in perspectief. Nieuwe
verhoudingen in de interne en externe bevoegdheden van de
Europese Unie" (with R.A. Wessel), 54 SEW - Tijdschrift voor
Europees en economisch Recht 6, 2006, pp. 231 - 242.
- "The European Court of Justice and the Division of
Competences in the European Union", in: D. Obradovic and N.
Lavranos, 'Interface between EU Law and International Law',
(Groningen: Europa Law Publishing, 2007), pp. 13 - 40.
- "Het verdrag van Lisbon: structuur en overzicht", 22 SEW
- Tijdschrift voor Europees en economisch Recht 2, 2008,
pp. 38 - 42.
- "Cross-Pillar Litigation before the ECJ: Demarcation of
Community and Union Competences, European Constitutional Law
Review, 4: 399 - 420, 2008.
- Onderzoeksrapport: Het Ministerie van Verkeer en
Waterschap en de Europese Agentschappen (with W.T.
Eijsbouts), (Den Haag: Ministerie van Verkeer en Waterstaat,
Link to full text: