Why choose Actuarial Science?
- With our electives, you can tailor the programme to your interests and ambitions.
- Learn all about today's techniques, practices and insights. You will be lectured by professors and professionals working in the industry.
- After graduation, you have an excellent job prospect at e.g. insurance companies, large investment banks or ministries. If you selected the electives that meet the entry requirements of the Postmaster Actuarial Practice Cycle you can continue with this programme. After finishing your Postmaster, you will qualify for membership of the Royal Dutch Actuarial Society.
Help organisations predict the financial impact of future developments
How much should we set aside for our retirement years? How should insurance companies determine the premiums of earthquake insurances? And how should complex financial products such as a credit default swap be priced? These are typical questions you will investigate during your year with us.
Hi, I'm Alexander! I'm a Master’s student in Actuarial Science and Mathematical Finance from South Africa. Got questions about studying at the UvA? Get in touch!Chat with Alexander
Lecturers leading in their field
You will receive lectures and seminars by leading scholars in the field and by professionals who work in the industry, such as the director of the Dutch Central Bank. They will teach you the most advanced techniques, practices and insights of today.
Graduates of the Master's programme in Actuarial Science and Mathematical Finance/General track have excellent job prospects for positions at:
- all (big) firms in the actuarial industry
- insurance companies and Pension funds (ACHMEA, AEGON, APG, NN)
- consultancy firms (Deloitte, EY, KPMG, PwC)
Is Actuarial Science and Mathematical Finance for you?
In addition to sufficient background knowledge of mathematics, you must have a solid grasp of statistics, including some knowledge of econometrics. You are also expected to have taken courses covering investment and portfolio theory.
If you hold a Bachelor's or Master's degree in Actuarial Science, Econometrics, Operations Research or in another quantitative field such as Mathematics, Statistics or Physics, then you are eligible to apply for the programme.
Explore all MSc Actuarial Science and Mathematical Finance tracks
Actuarial Science is one of the tracks you can opt for in our Master's in Actuarial Science and Mathematical Finance.