I am Associate Professor of Developmental Psychology and conduct interdisciplinary research that focuses on social and cognitive processes related to healthy and unhealthy behaviors (alcohol use, smoking, excessive smartphone use) in adolescents and young adults. I am interested in the interplay between the social context (e.g., peer influence, parents) and individual risk factors such as motivational processes, self-regulation and genetic make-up. In my research, and collaborations, I combine developmental psychology with insights from pedagogical, medical, and methodological disciplines and applied research. In addition to conducting assessment studies to get a refined understanding of the processes involved in psychopathologies and healthy behavior, I conduct intervention studies. For instance, I am involved in the development of a targeted digital game-based prevention intervention for impulsive and sensation seeking youth aged 13-16 years as well as online intervention studies using cognitive bias modification and MI/CBT to decrease alcohol use, smoking, and anxiety. I have a great passion for teaching and mentoring students and junior scholars. Next to my teaching and research, I am programme manager of Research Priority Area Yield and Academic Director of the UvA Summer School Mental Health, Youth and Society. Also, I am board member of the Dutch Society for Developmental Psychology (VNOP).
- Programme manager: RPA Yield conducts multidisciplinary research among 10 different research programmes (University of Amsterdam) with a focus on the bioecology of human development: Yield
- Academic Director Summer School: Mental Health, Youth and Society .
- Board member of Dutch Society for Developmental Psychology: VNOP
- Course: Addiction
- Course: Obesity
- Coordinator internship
- Childhood: Developmental Psychology
- Adolescence: Developmental, Clinical and School Psychology